Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Daily Hand Post: a decision with ATs and TPTK

The preflop limp here was accidental although ATs isn't always an UTG raise anyway. No reads. The flop was a whiffed check/raise attempt.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+2 posts a blind of $2.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero....
Old 06-12-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Daily Hand Post: a decision with ATs and TPTK

Hero reraises.
You're not up against a set, or against 2 pair.
You're not up against an overpair, based upon the check-through on the flop.
So you're against a straight or flush draw, or both.
Reraise.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:53 PM

I don't like the attempt at the flop checkraise, with only 2 opponents. Just bet it out. On the turn, I would 3bet and fold to a cap. Looks like this guy either is either very good or very marginal.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:54 PM

A slowplayed set is very possible here. Or a set of 7's
Old 06-12-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You're not up against a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate seeing monsters as much as the next guy, but how sure are we that he's not holding 77?

That said, I think we have to reraise here too. I've seen players at Party 2/4 check through a flop with a set or two pair thinking that they're putting a big move on the field, but it's rare enough to ignore it.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:01 PM

The only other hand that villain is likely to play like this is AK[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or AQ[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I'm taking the safe road here and calling down.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate seeing monsters as much as the next guy, but how sure are we that he's not holding 77?

That said, I think we have to reraise here too. I've seen players at Party 2/4 check through a flop with a set or two pair thinking that they're putting a big move on the field, but it's rare enough to ignore it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain ought to be betting this flop with 77 considering the preflop raise...
Old 06-12-2005, 09:02 PM

Villain could easily check behind an overpair here (more likely AA or KK since there are fewer overcards to fear), or a monster like TT. The flop is raggedy, he's up against a poster and an UTG limper, he might think he's getting a couple of folds and can do better in this small pot to instead induce a bluff/let someone make a pair and give him action (not necessarily a bad play given that someone who does make a decent pair will bet and often call down, losing 3BB's when they might have folded the flop, or a chance to get at least 1BB if someone bluffs a hopeless hand).

I doubt the straight draw a bit because he raised preflop, but big suited cards are possible, although I think villain would often bet those on this raggedy flop. So I think it's an overpair (or possibly something like 99, although I think if he's going to raise 99 on this turn, he'd bet the flop 100% of the time) or a flush draw with overcards.

I think I'd call, as I want to see a showdown given this somewhat unusual play and I'd hate to reraise, get capped, and have to pay again on the river, or else save a bet and fold on the river but risk losing a pot to an overaggressive bluffer.

I think my river plan is to check-raise any improvement, check-call any non-diamond, and I guess call a diamond too, but I don't know about that. With a read I'd consider betting a river diamond, but without I have no idea what I'm up against or what he's likely to do, so I prefer seeing a showdown.

Too bad you didn't raise preflop, this might be a little easier. Maybe.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Strange Thought...

after whiffing on the flop (i think a flop c/r is a good choice), and seeing a relatively safe turn card blank...does anyone think that check/call the turn may be a decent choice?

my thinking (which may be totally off) is that since the pot is quite small, and our hand is almost always good here (after a PFR checks through that flop 3handed, we are usually not up against an over pair, but more likely an underpair or two overcards) villain is making a mistake to bet...so we would check/call the turn and bet the river...

does the presence of the third player make this a terrible line? what about HU with the PFR? is thinking just totally flawed?

normally i play this hand just as hero did (i would probably call down as we still beat hands like A7/88/99 and flush/straight draws)...
Old 06-12-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain ought to be betting this flop with 77 considering the preflop raise...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would and you would, but my question was more about how sure we are that the villain would.