Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 05:49 PM

Default broadband necessary for multitabling?

Hi, Everyone:

I'm about to move out of the Pleistocene with a new computer with Dell 2001 screen and am trying to decide whether to go DSL or Cable, assuming I need it to 4-table. But I've started to wonder if I need either. My wife's business DSL service (Qwest) seems to crash every day. My dial-up service (AT&T) almost never drops and then only for seconds. There doesn't seem to be a lot of data flashing back and forth between Party and me, so could my dial-up handle four tables easily? What do you think?

I'm running poker tracker as well, to run on my second monitor, but so far I'm not updating as I play.

P.S. If the main connection fails does the broadband service usually attempt an automatic reconnect with a dial-up line?

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: broadband necessary for multitabling?

I've three tabled w/ dial up, and I imagine four tabling should be fine. I've been regularly 2 tabling w/ dial up, and do not notice any difference from when I was using DSL....
Old 06-13-2005, 05:56 PM

Thanks, Keikiwai:

Are you also running PT as you play?
Old 06-13-2005, 06:09 PM

I was 4-tabling last year on dial-up, while running PT. At the time, however, I was not running GT+ so I have no idea how that would work. Anyway, I seem to have just as many "hang ups" with my knew dsl system as I did with the old dial up. Surfing the net, while playing, is much faster now though.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:18 PM

the main advantage is not getting disconnected which I'm sure happens often enough that broadband should pay for itself.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:34 PM

I run pt, gt and an especially bad dial-up service while I'm at my parents in the summer and it sucks balls. I run out of disconnect protections.
Yes, I live with my parents. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was 4-tabling last year on dial-up, while running PT. At the time, however, I was not running GT+ so I have no idea how that would work

[/ QUOTE ]

Running GT+ and PT effectively has to do with your computer's power, not your internet connection. They use information that's already on your computer, so they will not contribute to using connection bandwidth.

A relatively small amount of information is transferred while playing poker. The program that you originally downloaded translates the information into the pretty pictures and simulated movements. I can't imagine that multitabling would be difficult with dial-up.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:01 PM

Online poker uses only a tiny tiny amount of bandwidth so you can easily multitable with a dialup connection. You could probably multitable with a 14.4 dialup connection but may get into trouble, but I bet you could.

Some broadband connections have a lot of disconnects while some have very few. If you have a good dialup connection it may be more stable.

Now that you don't have to have your hands emailed to you for PT thsi program wont be effected at all by your connection speed.

If you really want to see if you can multitable with your configuration just load up 4 play money or small stakes table and try it out. It should be no problem.

-f
Old 06-14-2005, 04:06 PM

I have played on Dial up since January. My connection ranges from 43000bps to 49000bps. I three table and have had no problems. I three table and typically have 4-6 poker sites open at a time. I have four tabled as well and have no problems.

I do not web surf or do any other internet type applications while I play.

I had been considering getting a cable modem, but after using dial-up this long, I think a cable modem would be a waste of money. (I rarely use the CPU for anything other than poker.)
Old 06-14-2005, 04:22 PM

It won't make any difference on speed. I successfully 8-tabled on a 33k dial-up modem with absolutely zero problem for a long time.

Here's why you should get DSL or cable anyway, AND keep your dial-up.

Because dial-ups disconnect you every once in a while or have problems, just like any other system will, including cable and DSL. They also can take quite a while to reconnect you, especially if the system is experiencing a slowdown or other problem. And especially if your are multi-tabling, you've got a lot of money at risk. You really need a way to be able to get back in play if you are disconnected. Just one pot can make up a whole night's profitability in poker. You can't afford to lose it.

I didn't have problems often with dial-up or with DSL -- I have both now. But every time I did, it cost me or potentially cost me far more money than the $20 cost dial-up or DSL go for these days. Being disconnected in the middle of your play can and will come at the worst moments and cost you plenty.

I play low level SNG's now, generally at 4 tables and up. So I have buy-ins worth anywhere from $44 to $176 on the line all the time. And if I'm going to get in the money, up to many hundreds of dollars are at stake. And I'm a real LOW level dude. Don't take the chance.

And while you're at it, spring for a quality battery back-up. Anyone serious enough to risk playing 8 tables at once is serious enough to make sure he doesn't screw himself by having no back-up. The power went out on me a little while back and I just kept playing. No surges harmed my computer or disconnected me, no monetary loss, no discomfort. Nice, huh? Much more responsible and respectful of your money that way.