Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Theoretical HU Question

This is X-posted from poker theory because apparently no one reads it and we're having an argument about it on IRC.

You're playing HU against a very aggressive player. When you raise off the button, he will fold the bottom 10% of his hands and 3-bet the rest. When he 3-bets and you 4-bet, he will 5-bet the top 70% of his hands. His 7-betting standards are unknown, he has never done it before in several occasions of 6 bets PF. Postflop, he will continue to bet into you unless he reaches resistance. If he reaches resistance, he will raise, bet and checkraise with his good hands as well as bluff fairly often.

You have 55 on the button. You raise, he 3-bets, you 4-bet, he 5-bets, do you 6-bet?
Old 06-10-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Theoretical HU Question

[ QUOTE ]
This is X-posted from poker theory because apparently no one reads it and we're having an argument about it on IRC.

You're playing HU against a very aggressive player. When you raise off the button, he will fold the bottom 10% of his hands and 3-bet the rest. When he 3-bets and you 4-bet, he will 5-bet the top 70% of his hands. His 7-betting standards are unknown, he has never done it before in several occasions of 6 bets PF. Postflop, he will continue to bet into you unless he reaches resistance. If he reaches resistance, he will raise, bet and checkraise with his good hands as well as bluff fairly often.

You have 55 on the button. You raise, he 3-bets, you 4-bet, he 5-bets, do you 6-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ug, I call the 3bet.

-Scott
Old 06-10-2005, 06:49 PM

5-betting the top 70% is A LOT of hands. Considering how many of those include 2s, 3s, and 4s, I'm 6-betting.

Getting yourself totally pot committed with such a difficult hand to play seems like an added bonus.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:51 PM

Since he is playing very loose and aggressive postflop, I would prefer to keep pots small preflop with a hand like 55 that will never be a big favorite.

By doing this in a way you are making his postflop style of play more incorrect. Unless by 4/5/6 betting you will cause him to back off or become afraid of you, I would stop at 3 bets pf, and try to exploit his over-aggressiveness postflop.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:52 PM

Ug, I call the 3bet.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:56 PM

against a player/robot that will bet/bet/bet every street post flop, imo 6 betting and taking the lead is a mistake. you lose the opportunity to take adavantage of his -EV post flop play. flat calling his 5th bet and either c/r the turn or river, or calling down are both superior than 6 betting and either taking the lead or opening yourself up for a 7th bet.

also i think flat calling pf and c/r somewhere has positive metagame considerations. and if you happen to be incorrect in his range preflop, it will be a much larger mistake if you 6 bet than if you just call. i think there is a decent chance you are overestimating the wide-ness of nw's range here, though even if you are correct just call anyway...
Old 06-10-2005, 07:28 PM

6-bet.

For some reason, people seem to think you have a playing advantage postflop. They will change their mind the 60% of the time you see 3-overcard non-set flops. If he's good in addition to laggy, he's going to 3-bet a lot of the time you raise postflop, and you'll be crushed most of those times. By jamming preflop, you can call down when you don't hit a set.

This is actually a pot control question. Postflop, you have seriously difficult questions that are essentially unanswerable. Where are you on the K98 flop? Just call it down. This line becomes more correct the more you jam it preflop, and a big pot will induce him to bluff more, making your calldown even better.

Plus, you have an equity edge. Jam it, because equity is good.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i would call the 3 bet, but do you really think anyone 4 bets the top 70% of their hands? I know it's hypothetical, but still, it seems kinda moot.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:27 PM

When I was playing against this guy HU, he would 4-bet nearly every time I would 3-bet. He showed down garbage sometimes too. I think I'm being generous with the 70%.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6-bet.

For some reason, people seem to think you have a playing advantage postflop. They will change their mind the 60% of the time you see 3-overcard non-set flops. If he's good in addition to laggy, he's going to 3-bet a lot of the time you raise postflop, and you'll be crushed most of those times. By jamming preflop, you can call down when you don't hit a set.

This is actually a pot control question. Postflop, you have seriously difficult questions that are essentially unanswerable. Where are you on the K98 flop? Just call it down. This line becomes more correct the more you jam it preflop, and a big pot will induce him to bluff more, making your calldown even better.

Plus, you have an equity edge. Jam it, because equity is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, lemme check...

Yup. I just threw up in my mouth.

-Scott