Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 02:42 AM

Default flop question

PokerStars 5/10 Omaha/8 (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>

Hero??
Old 06-09-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: flop question

I hate this crap....

You could give up. You are playing for half of a small pot.

I would probably raise for info. If he reraises, I prob. call and see turn with thoughts of folding. If he calls, I take a free card and react to the river card.

Or I'de just fold. Depends on what I know of this opponent.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:32 AM

I would fold.
You have no high. You have second nut low with no counterfeit protection. The pot is small. Wait for a better situation.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:15 AM

I would fold. This is a small pot, and you have nothing for high and an unprotected non-nut low.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:39 AM

A better response I think might be to ask you why you would think of calling or maybe raising? I'd be interested in hearing what you see.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:24 AM

My first choice is fold. As others have said, you've got a poor draw to the low and essentially no high draw. Raising is the second choice - you'd essentially be praying that UTG is betting a wraparound high draw.

Only three people to the flop. What do we conclude from this? No one got an A2 with the possible exception of UTG+1. We assume that BB came along for the free ride. We might also conclude (but this is a HUGE leap) that the stub is rich in 2s. You're not going to get any high draw to fold with a raise, but you might get one or the other guys to fold to your raise if their low draw is as crappy as yours. Then, it leaves you heads up, which puts your A3 in a lot better position, but still not great because after all, UTG+1 did call from UTG+1 with something.

Preflop position kills you here. If you were CO or Button and just saw 5 or 6 folds in front of you, then you might have gone for a PF raise to encourage everyone but UTG+1 to fold.

But really, this is a tiny pot. Unless you have some idea what UTG+1's starting hand requirements are, and since I'm generally weak tight, I go for the fold here. And to me, the only thing calling would do is encourage UTG+1 to bet the turn. If the turn isn't a 2 or a spade, you're stuck with the same crappy decision.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:04 PM

jason,

what are you trying to beat?

i'm proceeding under the assumption that the ps 5/10 game is a game with moderately decent players. please correct me if i'm wrong.

UTG+1 should have a decent hand to enter from there. let's run down some random possibilities and results.

A2xx - has you absolutely crushed. in fact, you cant scoop him. not to mention his xx gives him possibilities for flush, straight, two pair, and trips. you're way behind even to a measly pair of 8's.

A3xx - you're tied for the lo half, and if he's betting, he has you crushed for the hi as you have queen hi.

high connectors - he's not betting even with a 6 card wrap + flush draw. not when three lo's hit the board.

random junk hand - most likely still has you beaten badly for hi.

anticipating the turn and river action, it'll cost you somewhere between 3 to 5 SB's to protect the 3.5 SB's in the pot, in which your equity is no more than 1 SB, and that's mighty generous.

it's a pretty easy fold unless you have a 95% accurate read. and we havent even mentioned the BB yet to act...

respectfully,
temp
Old 06-09-2005, 12:19 PM

I would say raise if you caught any part of the high but you didn't so I would fold. You are beat badly by any A2 or any 2 way hand. You are tied with any high old hand, and you are a little ahead of a high drawing hand. Seems like if you continue to play here you are behind much more then you are ahead.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:11 PM

This is a short-handed game, if I read right, with only six players. Depending on how your read of UTG+1, I would consider calling and check-raising the turn, especially if a spade or a non-diamond jack, ten, or deuce fell. Of course, you do want to see if the BB will fold, call, or check-raise, a possibility some people seem to be ignoring. Certainly, I would call with A3 if I knew for sure that the BB was going to call chasing either a straight draw or a worse low.

It depends on how good your opponent is. Would he play a hand like an overpair this way? Would he bet with hands that are sufficiently weak that he would fold if he didn't improve and you check-raised the turn and continued betting on the river? I probably wouldn't do this, though, against a player who would stubbornly call down with weak high hands.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:49 PM

Anything other than folding seems very wrong to me.
-g