Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Too aggressive against a LAG?

New poster here who frequents 2+2 but doesn't post a lot. I wanted to get some feedback on my line on this hand. Villan is a typical LAG (50% VP$IP, goes to way too many showdows with the worst hand). This is about 4 orbits into my session. On the previous hand I had shown a good laydown (88 vs an unknown on a QQ45r board). I think everything is fine, but I'm concerned about my river play.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (10 handed) converter

MP2 ($95.45)
MP3 ($197.82)
CO ($79.6)
Button ($93.5)
SB ($94.8)
Hero ($87)
UTG (Villan) ($194.05)
UTG+1 ($97)
UTG+2 ($136.45)
MP1 ($158.31)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG :#A500AF(Villan)/ calls $1, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villan raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($10.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villan bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, Villan calls $10.

River: ($40.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $40</font>, Villan folds.

Final Pot: $80.50

I think I should have checked hoping he would make an attemp, and to make my turn bet look like a failed attempt to win the pot right there. With his wide range of hand I know my hand is good, so am I just hoping he calls with two pair or do I let him off cheap by playing way too aggressive out of the blinds?

Comments and criticism are encouraged!
Old 06-07-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive against a LAG?

what is the reasoning for hte turn raise?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:07 PM

The reason is two fold.

1) As I had stated in OP I wanted the turn bet to look like a attempt to win the pot right there. I figured he could have anything but I had seen him play flush and straight draws aggressivly.

2) I wanted to charge him enough that if he was on a flush draw he would check the river to me. If I didn't fill up on the river and a scare card I hit I could check behind.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:49 PM

You hooked him, and then let him go with big river bet, you already know that...

He probably missed though, use the speed of the fold as your guide...

&gt;TW&lt;
Old 06-07-2005, 10:09 PM

Its usually better to make a weak lead on the river. He will call you with marginal hands, and you give him the opportunity to come over you.

Betting pot lets him get away from 95% of his hands.

If you check, he might take a stab at it, but he will probably check through hands with showdown value.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:51 AM

Bet $8 on the turn.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to charge him enough that if he was on a flush draw he would check the river to me. If I didn't fill up on the river and a scare card I hit I could check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused.... I thought Hero was first to act. Villain can't check to Hero because he acts second, nor can Hero check and let Villain bluff a missed draw (which was what you put him on, right?), since Hero checkraised the turn.