Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Whose play was worse... Need help :(

I'm in a two table freezeout. Starting chips are $5000, I'm sitting on about $6000. BB is sitting on about $3000. I'm dealt 2-2 in late position. I limp in, with about 2 otehr limpers. We see the flop

The flop comes 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB Bets $200, all others fold to me, I raise to $1200, putting him on a flush or straight draw, he pushes all in, I call. He flips Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] He spikes a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the turn and hits his flush. Teh board doesn't pair and I'm crippled.

Was my bet bad, was his push bad, or was my call of his all in bad. Where did I go wrong on this hand? Should I not have called the all-in? Should I not have limped with my ducks in late position?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Whose play was worse... Need help :(

The limp was fine, you hit your hand, you put your opponent on his hand, you got the chips in as the favorite, and with him getting improper odds, and he caught. You played it fine. How much was in the pot after his bet of $200 on the flop? If the pot was only around say $400, your bet of $1200 was too much because in most situations people would not try to draw for the flush in that case. You got this guy not only to accept those terrible odds, but also put the rest of his stack in.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:34 AM

There were two other limpers, so including his $200 bet, there was $1100 in the pot incl the SB, my bet was just over the size of the pot.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:39 AM

Your play was fine IMO. I assume this is early in the tourney. Pocket 2's is exactly the kind of hand that you want to limp in with after 2 others have limped in order to see the flop cheap and try to spike a set. That's exactly what happened. Once you hit the set and suspect a flush draw (almost certain with a big field), you need to raise. The whole point is to make your oponent make a mistake - and boy did he make one! The pot is approximately at t7,000 and almost t3,000 of it was put in by him on the flop. He was only about 25% to win the hand and he put in almost half the chips in the pot. Mission Accomplished.

Don't be so results oriented; bad beats happen. You need to make calls like this or you can't win! How much better of an opportunity could you possibly as for?
Old 06-06-2005, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the input. I'll now stop beating myself up over this hand. It was the right decision with the wrong results and that I can handle. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 01:20 PM

Worst bad beat story ever.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:25 PM

You played fine, he sucked out.

Oh well.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Worst bad beat story ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your input, very helpful
Old 06-06-2005, 01:56 PM

what do you expect to hear? that you played badly? welcome to tournament poker, enjoy your stay.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:01 PM

Yeah, I wanted to know if I played badly or not, or if I played correctly.