Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Was I just lucky in this hand or did i play it somewhat correct?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (12.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB

I did only bet UTG because before people often have folded when i raised UTG.

Daniel Eriksson
Sweden
Old 06-07-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Was I just lucky in this hand or did i play it somewhat correct?

Raise PF. The fact that you expect many players to fold behind you is a point in favor of raising, not against it. (Although you should raise even if all other players have already called out of turn).

I would 3-bet the flop. UTG+2 is probably coming along anyway, so you might as well reraise for value. This is close though, and just calling the raise is okay too.

The turn is fine.

I like the river play. Occasionally you will drop a couple of BB when it gets checked through, but with two players left (one showing aggression all the way), I think this is a pretty good gamble.

Edit: I missed that you limp-reraised with AQo. That's really awful.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:23 PM

What's your read on the villain that justifies 3-betting preflop? Against a typical opponent (loose-passive) you should fold.
----------------------------------
Oh, wait a second. You limp-reraised with AQo? Bad, bad, bad. Raise preflop.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:25 PM

AQo is a hand that loses a lot of its equity edge with many people in the pot. Raise to get it short handed. If you steal the blinds from UTG, switch tables. There are plenty of party .50/1 tables that are better. The LRR was compounding a mistake.

On the flop, you could 3bet for value if you think UTG+2 will still come along. Other than that, you played fine postflop.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:39 PM

Forgot to mention the Villan had KK with the K of spades. I guess i choosed the wrong hand to mix up my play with, to not get to predicatble.

Well thanx for the advice.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess i choosed the wrong hand to mix up my play with, to not get to predicatble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unimaginitive, predictable, ABC poker is the key to success at .5/1. You don't need to do anything wild to confuse your opponents; they're confused enough as it is.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:50 PM

AQo is a strong hand against few opponents. You will usually win when you make top pair with your kicker.

However the more multiway a hand becomes, the more likely it becomes that a better hand like 2 pair,a set,straight,flush or full-house will win the pot.

That is why you should raise in early position with a hand like AQo to try to play the hand against only a few opponents. It wont always get folded all round the table, and if it does happen occassionally its not so bad to pick up the blinds cheaply without a fight.

So in this hand, I think you should have raised PF and called if it was 3-bet. There is a good chance that AQo could be dominated by a re-raiser if they have AA or QQ, so I think its better not to cap PF.

On the flop, you had the nut flush draw and I think you were correct to bet. Also I think you were correct to call the flop raise so as not to risk driving UTG+2 out of the hand by forcing him to call 2 bets cold.

When you miss on the turn, I think you were correct to check and call MP2's bet, because the pot is now big. It would not have been correct to raise because you only had 2 remaining opponents and the odds of making your hand had become 4:1. Plus you might have made UTG+2 fold.

I would have preferred for you to bet the river.

Your check-raise was successful and earned you more river bets. However I also think there was a good chance that by checking, the other players might also have checked, fearing the flush and then you wouldnt have collected any river bets at all.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:50 PM

Guess i will get slaughtered if i ever move up in limits then, guess ABC poker will not work there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Still i am learning, upp 80BB after 2.7k Hands, lets hope i have the same ratio after like 50k hands. Wish me luck...
Old 06-07-2005, 02:55 PM

You don't even need tricky, mixed up play against typical opponents up through 2/4 (my frontier, so far). You just need better hand reading and more solid play. Players still are largely playing their own two cards (albeit, better), not you.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:42 PM

I would have folded pf w/o a read. The rest of the hand is standard.

-Jaran

lrr bad! Raise first time around.