Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 01:31 PM

Default suited (1 gap) connector pot odds

In Harringtons book "heroe" has 6c8c preflop in nolimit holdem. There are two players left in the hand with $650 in the raised pot and $100 To call. One player has $640 the other $790. Heroes has $1730.

The issue is the play at this point, not the mistakes that heroe made getting here. Harrington says "The pot is offering you 6.5/1 on your money, and your flush and straight possibilities make this an easy call."

Anyone explain? What pot odds should u have for this hand pre flop? Or is this really about implied odds? Elaboration appreciated. More than I can chew----Thanks D
Old 06-04-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: suited (1 gap) connector pot odds

I haven't read HoH yet, but this is an intresting situation. I wonder how the pot gets to $650 with only $100 to call... but, since it is, yes, this is an easy call, since the size of the pot makes the implied odds huge: the raisers likely have something that they're going to find hard to get away from, and if the hero flops a big hand or draw, the pot odds are going to justify getting it all in.

Generally, the rule with suited connectors in raised pots in NL is that if you can get in for between 5-10% of either your stack or your opponents (whichever is smaller) then it's a call, given that this is the kind of situation that can set you up to break someone.