Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 02:49 PM

Default A hand I played poorly

I'm currently clearing the Noble Poker bonus and so I have no current hand histories. However, instead of criticizing you all I thought I'd go through some of my own hands for the horror show.

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

The SB is TAG, the BB is LAG preflop, passive postflop, and MP1 is wharfy. I checked my notes on PT but I unfortunately slacked on taking down more details.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">Here again we see the ubiquitous failure to raise with overcards and a gutshot straightflush draw. I suppose I reasoned that because the players at absolute are tighter "than a nuns nasty" I would make more money by not raising. As it turned out this was a perfect opportunity to 3-bet and the hand would've played out better for me.</font>

Turn: (8.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">still passive because now I feared trips</font>

River: (11.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">crying call</font>

Final Pot: 14.25 BB
Old 06-02-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: A hand I played poorly

like u said u have a bunch of outs on the flop so i raise and see how it plays. next time i guess.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:55 PM

"wharfy"- hahah! what the heck is that?!
[ QUOTE ]
As it turned out this was a perfect opportunity to 3-bet and the hand would've played out better for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

you said what i thought. probably fold the river too against a TAG. you only beat 88 here and i really don't see a TAG 3-betting a pair of 8s on the flop.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:05 PM

Yeah, I suppose my only question is whether the paired board should stop the hero from capping the flop.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:09 PM

i would have 3 bet the first time i mean. you have outs that'll destroy 3 of a kind, i believe.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:24 PM

Fold the river PLEASE.

SB 3 bet this flop (he likely has trips). BB raised preflop (meaning often times he's likely to have AK or AA-JJ, all of which beat you). With both of them seeing this on the end I don't think there's any chance you're good enough times to make this +EV.

Also, since this player raised preflop out of the BB his chances of having a premium hand are even stronger (since many players wuss out with lesser hands and take a "free flop").

Additionally, since I'm definitely staying in this hand I like 3 betting the flop to maximize my position and hopefully take control of the hand. I also think it plays a lot easier, too.

FOLD THE RIVER!
Old 06-02-2005, 03:35 PM

Is it not possible that SB is holding a single 9?

I'm more curious of what BB has tho, a nine is not likely since he raised before the flop, chasing overcards maybe? But it's strange that he calls the river. Maybe pocket pair
Old 06-02-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FOLD THE RIVER!

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it not possible that SB is holding a single 9?

I'm more curious of what BB has tho, a nine is not likely since he raised before the flop, chasing overcards maybe? But it's strange that he calls the river. Maybe pocket pair

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, this is exactly how a tag would play a 9 (or a 7 for that matter). I think BB raised here to try and get a cheap showdown and to knock some players out on the flop. When he just calls I think he has something like AQ/AJ or is going for an overcall with something like AK/KQ and afraid of raising trips.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold the river PLEASE. SB 3 bet this flop (he likely has trips).

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a tag and it's more likely has a pocket pair or a 9.

[ QUOTE ]
BB raised preflop (meaning often times he's likely to have AK or AA-JJ, all of which beat you).

[/ QUOTE ]

"the BB is LAG preflop, passive postflop"

[ QUOTE ]
With both of them seeing this on the end I don't think there's any chance you're good enough times to make this +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

You only need to be good ~10% of the time. I could see BB with something like AJ/AQ here calling in case sb was bluffing and sb playing this way with a 9 at least that often.