Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2002, 05:21 AM

Default 5/10 hand, inducing bluffs....

i'm trying to work on inducing bluffs and wondered what some of you thought about this hand.

7 handed, 5/10...i recieve A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] in BB

UTG +1 calls, decent player in SB completes, take it 3 handed

flop is T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets and i raise to get it heads up.

turn is T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] [4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] ]

he checks, i check hoping to induced a bluff...or at least a hand that is worse then mine to bet, i.e. a lower pair

river T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] [T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]]

he bets and i call. he shows 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] for flush draw. i was successful in getting him to bet a worse hand, but i also gave him a free card. comments on my play appreciated, as well as maybe some examples of this tactic.

thx
Old 12-23-2002, 05:35 AM

Default Re: 5/10 hand, inducing bluffs....

If you bet the turn, he will call with multiple draws. If he just checks the river, you lost a bet. I think you got fancy here, and got lucky enough to break even.

I better time to make this play would be if your positions were reversed, you could check the river, hoping that a busted draw would bet and you could call.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:29 PM

Default Re: 5/10 hand, inducing bluffs....

Lunar Tweak,
Have you read Lou Krieger's book, "More Holdem Excellance". There is a section entitled...shoot I can't remember...but I thnik it may have been "Common mistakes in Holdem" which describes a situation very similar fundamentally to the situation that you describe.

In the book there were two heads up hands:
In the first, (on the flop) player A checks, player B bets his top pair, and A calls. The turn brings a blank, A checks, B bets and A folds.

In the second, it was an identical flop situation. Player A checks, B bets his top pair, and A calls. The turn brings a blank, A checks, B bets, but this time A check raises. B ends up calling the raise and A's river bet. Player A shows his flopped set.

Krieger goes on to explain that B should have played his hand something like you did. For both hands he advocates Player B checking through the turn with the following advantages:

In the first hand, checking the turn would induce a bluff bet by Player A on the river and made B an extra big bet. In the second hand by checking through it would have curbed A's attempt at a CR and minimized his losses.

I've thought about this play a number of times, but it just doesn't sit well with me. It seems as if the better play would be to bet out on the turn because of the fact that in LL holdem people pay to see any draw under the sun. And the situation in which you are check raised (and beat) on the turn after betting your top pair occurs much less frequently than when you bet your top pair and are called to the end. So it seems more profitable to bet all the way. But perhaps someone can correct me.
A hui hou,
Adam