Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Visualizing Images In Your Head

Always been curious about this. People say "close your eyes and imagine" etc. But when I close my eyes I can imagine stuff, but I don't see anything. Like my friend today is telling me he can visualize in his head clear images, like peole's faces. When I close my eyes I just see blackness though, and even when I try to see something I can't. What about you guys? Thoughts on this subject?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Visualizing Images In Your Head

I don't have any profound insights, but I think you may find this book fascinating and/or pertinent:

Dreaming by the Book by Elaine Scarry

I think her arguments about boundaries and reflective surfaces are pretty compelling. I haven't read the whole book though. There's some strange stuff about flowers later on, apparently.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:47 AM

Yeah, I trained myself to visualize Catherine Bell nude, so I just sit around with my eyes closed all day giggling.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Always been curious about this. People say "close your eyes and imagine" etc. But when I close my eyes I can imagine stuff, but I don't see anything. Like my friend today is telling me he can visualize in his head clear images, like peole's faces. When I close my eyes I just see blackness though, and even when I try to see something I can't. What about you guys? Thoughts on this subject?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are trying to "draw" the pictures or something as if they were in front of you. You should be able to "visualize" something as if it were in the location of your brain, and be able to do this with your eyes open. I am sure you already do this, but just don't realize it.

(Does this make any sense? I'm kind of tired.)
Old 06-10-2005, 12:48 AM

everyone has the own way of memorizing things. some people cant visualize too well. for me, i cant visualize well at all. i cant remember faces, but i can playback entire songs in my head and hear it exactly as its played on the radio.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:49 AM

kind of, but not really. would be interested if you clarified it...
Old 06-10-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
kind of, but not really. would be interested if you clarified it...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your friend is unknowingly misleading you. You say when you "imagine" something you can't "see" it. This "imagining" is what your friend is talking about (I think). If I were to say the "ace of spades", you would immediately know what it looks like. But I think by trying to "visualize" it, you immediately lose focus by trying to see it with your eyes.

(there is a 90% chance that I am completely wrong [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 06-10-2005, 01:01 AM

Try focusing your imagination on the texture of the surface of the object that you're trying to visualize. Also, imagine the object against a background rather than in free space. That is a start anyway.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:01 AM

yes you are wrong. again, many people can visualize things on different levels. everyone can visualize things but some are much better at it than others. some people can take an object and rotate it in any direction while constraining its proporitions and maintaining its colors and all detail of the object. i cant come close to that.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:37 AM

thanks for the responses all, surprised more haven't psoted. this is an interesting topic IMO, just sucks i am so bad at it