Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 06:29 AM

Default FAQ explaining all common accronyms used in posts?

Hi!

I am really a newbie (played a couple of thousands hands online, read a few books including Theory of Poker, Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play and Winning Low-Limit Hold'em (2nd Edition) ) but i want to learn more and know this site is a good place [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So to my question, i looked in the FAQ for some explanation for accronyms like:
Vpip: 13-14%
PFR: x% (assuming this means PreFlopRaise but since i am used to accronyms meaning completely different things in different contexts i my work....)

So is there a FAQ explaining this that i have missed?

Daniel Eriksson
Sweden
Old 05-31-2005, 06:51 AM

Default Re: FAQ explaining all common accronyms used in posts?

Most of the acronyms you see on here are related to PokerTracker (PT), which just about all the regulars use. That's where we get PFR (which does indeed mean Pre-Flop Raise) and VPIP (Voluntarily Put $ Into the Pot--the percentage of the time when a player called a bet/blind preflop). I don't know if there's an FAQ on all the abbreviations, although I'm sure that PT has something somewhere on their website. Some of the others you'll often see on here...

AF = Aggression Factor (another PT term, basically how often a player bets and raises vs. calling bets)
TAA/TAG = Tight Aggressive player, commonly defined by BisonBison's autorating rules. A TAG is generally a good player, who plays few hands but pushes his equity advantage aggressively.
LAA/LAG = Loose Aggressive player. Usually a misguided oaf who's watched too many WPT (World Poker Tour) episodes & thinks that by playing any 2 and betting every street the whole world will fold for him.
MHIG = My Hand Is Good, in HH (Hand History) posts. Alternately, you might see MHING, My Hand Is Not Good.
FYP = Fixed Your Post, usually a joke. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Welcome to the forums. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And please don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something you read in one of the threads (whether it's an acronym or poker strategy or what the obsession with Misha Barton is).
Old 05-31-2005, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the acronyms you see on here are related to PokerTracker (PT), which just about all the regulars use. That's where we get PFR (which does indeed mean Pre-Flop Raise) and VPIP (Voluntarily Put $ Into the Pot--the percentage of the time when a player called a bet/blind preflop). I don't know if there's an FAQ on all the abbreviations, although I'm sure that PT has something somewhere on their website. Some of the others you'll often see on here...

AF = Aggression Factor (another PT term, basically how often a player bets and raises vs. calling bets)
TAA/TAG = Tight Aggressive player, commonly defined by BisonBison's autorating rules. A TAG is generally a good player, who plays few hands but pushes his equity advantage aggressively.
LAA/LAG = Loose Aggressive player. Usually a misguided oaf who's watched too many WPT (World Poker Tour) episodes & thinks that by playing any 2 and betting every street the whole world will fold for him.
MHIG = My Hand Is Good, in HH (Hand History) posts. Alternately, you might see MHING, My Hand Is Not Good.
FYP = Fixed Your Post, usually a joke. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Welcome to the forums. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And please don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something you read in one of the threads (whether it's an acronym or poker strategy or what the obsession with Misha Barton is).

[/ QUOTE ]

Mischa is the most beautiful woman in the world.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:45 AM

JTIAN = jason_t is a nit
Old 05-31-2005, 10:50 AM

check out the micro FAQ.
Theres a fair bit of info there that may help!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:14 PM

Don't forget this.