Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2002, 12:30 PM

Default my hu play criticized, what do u think?

15/30 stud.

Jack completes, i make it two bets with (AA)7 .

4th (xx)J2 (AsAc)7dTd , we go 5 bets. so i guess shes got two pair.

5th (xx)J23 rainbow, (AsAc)7dTd9d. (all cards live)

now here she check calls, but criticizes me for betting since i didnt have Ad.

i felt its an auto bet here since im not behind to two pair by much and my board is scary.

what do u think? am i missing something here?

p.s. maybe my board wasnt such a straight flush, maybe 6d9dQd but you get the point.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:50 PM

Default Re: my hu play criticized, what do u think?

Here's my thinking. Suppose you had fallen high on 5th street with a third diamond, say the queen....are you betting here? The answer is probably yes because you have to represent the flush draw even if you don't have it ...but you really don't like to bet out and you would rather get a free card.

The way your hand actually came down, (with your opponent acting first) gives you the opportunity to take a MUCH NEEDED free card.

He checks his two pair to you....TAKE THE FREE CARD.

Another interesting dynamic here...in a totally different scenario... if he does bet into you on fifth you would be correct to RAISE him and set up for a free card on 6th street (Or get in an extra bet if you do hit your second pair on 6th)

The lesson here is to watch your position.

Good Luck

Jim Mogal
Old 12-24-2002, 01:27 PM

but why do i need a free card on 5th since im not behind to two pair?

also if i catch a diamond on 6th and bet and then bet the river ... ok well i guess two pair will call every time.

also suppose she has AJJ2 on 4th and puts me on flush draw (i was playing pretty aggressively) then wouldnt a bet on fifth win it for me? and if it doesnt i dont think ill get raised and on 5th im pretty much even money against 2 pair. plus the bet sets me up for free on 6th if i dont improve, and bet if i do.

(i caught 2 pair on 6th and bet again and bet the river)

see what i mean?
Old 12-24-2002, 02:33 PM

You stated "but why do i need a free card on 5th since im not behind to two pair?"

You have two black aces and three diamonds....why is this "not behind" two pair?

Old 12-24-2002, 03:16 PM

I think he means that the odds for him making 2 pair OR a flush OR trips OR a straight are higher than the other guy's odds of improving to a full house, therefore at that point he's still the favorite to win the hand. I believe that's what he's saying, atleast, maybe I mis-interpreted him. The problem with your board is the other guy doesn't know you have those Aces, so he would think even if you have 2 pair it's going to be 2 pair below his, so all you can represent at that point is the flush draw or a LOWER two pair, obviously he pins you on the flush or he'd be betting into you. I would say take the free card, if a diamond falls or 2 pair falls obviously bet, but I say you have to take the free card if he gives it to you, that might even set him up to bet the next round at which point you can raise, you would get the exact same number of bets out of him.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:03 PM

im an optimist by heart. what i meant is im not behind by much to two pair and when you add up that i might be only against a pair (say KK in the hole), i call it even on fifth.

of course if i catch a brick on 6th now i must check as im a big dog to two pair.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:29 PM

Remember in your first post , Brad, that you said it went to five bets on fourth street....It's overly optimistic to hope that he has a solitary pair of Kings.

If fact when your opponent make it five bets, although I agree that his most probable hand is JJ22 ... I am a little afraid of a set at this point.

I can't help thinking here that YOUR thinking is clouded by the fact that you DID hit the two pair and won the hand...

Read again what I said about the importance of your POSITION in this hand.

How would you have felt about your 5th street bet if you then caught the 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] on 6th street and now had only one chance to pair up on the river.

The reason for gladly accepting the FREE CARD is that you are NOT a FAVORITE to improve your hand.

Good Luck

Jim Mogal
Old 12-24-2002, 07:48 PM

well id rather take a free card on 6th rather than 5th.
Old 12-24-2002, 07:51 PM

also now that i think of it maybe 4 bets on 4th. check bet 2 i three bet and 4 bet i call.

Old 12-24-2002, 07:55 PM

I Agree with Jim! [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]