Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2002, 04:34 AM

Default Moving up in limits.

I have been playing a ton on Paradise the last few months, and I've been beating the game nicely. I'm averaging over 1 BB and hour over almost 1200 hours online consisting of over 150k hands. Most of my play has been at 2/4 and 3/6; I like to play 2 tables at time, and that level is comfortable for me to do that. Also, I've had to dip into my bankroll a couple of times, so it is only about 2k. Over the last week or so, I have played a little 5/10 just to see what it is like. I've been doing very well. I've had two real sessions at 5/10, and I'm winning over 6 BB's an hour. I realize 2 sessions are statistically insignificant; what really surprises me is the games seem to feel about the same. I have seen some solid play, but nothing that really made me think I was in over my head. I have tried to find games where the flop % was over 30 percent(that can be tricky at that level on Paradise). I think the move has sharpened my game a little; I know I concentrate better, and I think it has helped me toss some hands I had been playing at the lower levels that probably weren't positive really EV. I don't plan on playing these games all the time unitl my bankroll is a little bigger, but it is nice to sit down in a little bigger game and not get blown away. I would like the opinions of some of the posters here about these 5/10 games specifically, and moving up in limits in general.

An interesting side note came up tonight. I ran into a guy at one of the tables who I've played with live. He normally plays 15/30 or above at our local riverboat, and I'm usually at 4/8 or 3/6. I asked him how the Paradise 5/10 compared to the live 15/30; he said the Paradise game was much tougher and more aggressive. I have to admit to being a little surprised. How do the online limits, overall, compare to B&M games?

Thanks for the input, and good luck everybody,