Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Thoughts on Free Rolls?

I'm thinking of expanding my pallette, and adding some MTTs to the games I play.

I know the low regard most have for play money games, and generally agree with the sentiments that many have posted here many times.

Do people feel the same way about free-rolls with cash prizes? Even though the prizes are small, do people play seriously (at least in the later stages)? Or are they a waste of time?
Old 05-21-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on Free Rolls?

No, they don't compare to play money tourneys IMO. Very comparable to the lower stakes MTT. By that, I mean that you'll find PLENTY of turbo-loose-aggressive players early. By the first break, things settle down much like any other MTT. I think the time investment alone drives people to 'play poker' at this point.

If your primary goal is to gain MTT experience, I would look for the FR MTT's that step to a higher FR MTT, etc. Stars has many of these - 40FPP...top so many qualify for 1000FPP, and so on. I don't know that the game styles vary much between the lower & higher, but it will give you much more experience by working your way through the smaller ones.

Hey...better than using them to buy a hat!!

Good luck to you.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do people feel the same way about free-rolls with cash prizes? Even though the prizes are small, do people play seriously (at least in the later stages)? Or are they a waste of time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you should always play them seriously.
Maximize your chance of winning, of course!
It's more fun when you win, no matter the prize.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:40 PM

I personally find them (usually) a waste of time. By that I mean only that I could usually make more in less time doing something else. However, for practice? Why the h3ll not? I have played a few. The ones worth while usually have so many players in them though, that you better have lots of spare time for one tournament.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:50 PM

If you are playing freerolls to make money, work a McDs. If you are playing them for fun and to get experience, they are worthwhile once it becomes slightly more serious closer to the cutoff.