Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Return of the Jedi- review

First off I'd like to say how much I've enjoyed watching the original 3. It was a while since I had seen them and I am looking forward to watching the new 3, despite the bad reviews from you guys. IMO, it goes ESB>NH>RotJ.

Anyways, I think that this movie has a lot of holes, but was overall pretty good. The opening scene in Jabba's palace was pretty annoying with all the hiddeous creatures, but that was redeemed with Luke's badassness in slaying the monster. From there they go to the giant dune monster and again, Luke saves the day. I liked how they pretty much had this plan from the get go, but it seems a bit unrealistic, but I still liked it a lot. I guess a bit of unrealism is what you have to take with fantasy/sci-fi.

After that we head off to see Yoda and there Luke confronts Yoda and Obi Wan Kenobe about his father being Darth Vader. We also see that Luke is basically done with his training, but still needs to face Vader to complete. I didn't think much of this part except for it being a filler so we can see what happened to Yoda. We also see that Leia is Luke's brother, but I already knew that so I didn't have any feelings.

Next we have the reunited crew of Leia, Luke, Han Solo, Chewy, C3PO, and R2D2. Together they head to the planet of the ewoks. They get in a bit of trouble and have a really cool chase/fight scene. This part was awesome. Luke again is totally dominating, but I don't understand why he doesn't use the force. He was taught by Yoda to use it in situations of extreme pressure, like this, but he doesn't. Anyways, they lose Leia and we find out she meets and befriends an ewok. The ewoks are annoying little creatures that just serve the purpose to annoy the viewer and the people in the movie. They go on a quest to find her, and eventually get trapped by a bunch of ewoks who begin to believe that C3PO is God. The guys nearly get roasted, but Luke saves them using the force and all is good. This scene is basically ruined by C3PO (who is the most annoying major character ever) and the ewoks (who are annoying too).

The next big thing is that Luke tells Leia that they are brother and sister, and that he feels the presence of their father on the planet. He says that he needs to confront him, so he leaves and gives himself up. Again, no feelings about this scene as it was too obvious.

When we see Vader and Skywalker meet again, Skywalker tries to tell Vader that he has a little bit of good in him, but Vader won't listen. Vader makes him go back up to the base to meet the emporer. IMO, the best scenes in the movie are the ones where it's just Vader and Skywalker. They really meshed well together as characters and you could really feel each one's struggle.

I don't want to focus on the battle on the planet, so I'll basically sum it up quick. It was just a really bad beat on the empire. If it weren't for Chewie, they would've been dominated. Chewie is my third favorite character, and is really just a badass.

Back to the emperor, Darth, and Luke. They have all this struggle and all the times where it's just Darth and Luke, you really get trapped in the movie. However, when the emperor throws in the "almost there, you are nearly one with the dark side" crap, it really bothered me. If things are running course, why would you try to ruin it by adding these little statements? I truely believe that had he let the course run it's own path, that there is a solid chance that Luke would've gone dark.

Finally we have the triumph of the dark side over Luke, but it's only temporary. He is nearly feeling the hate runnign through him, but then the emporer ruins it again. I can't express my feelings enough about how the emporer sucks. Then the emperor uses his force lightning technique and dominates Luke. During this, Vader now without his left hand gets up. You can feel the struggle within him when he is deciding who to side with. He can stay with the dark side, and let the emperor ruin Luke, or he can help his son, admitting to having that doubt that Luke had claimed. I could feel the pressure within him, it was intense. He eventually chooses to save Luke and throws the emperor over the railing. I think that this was a perfect scene, except for the emperor's talking to Luke about joining the dark side when he was almost there.

Finally we see the death star destroyed and all is well in the galaxy again. The party was stupid so I skipped over it until we saw Anakin, Obi Wan and Yoda reunited. I didn't have any feelings about that, except it made me recall Dead's getting mad at peachy over it. I think after I watch 1-3, I will think more about this.

Great movies, I really liked them.

Edit- before I get any flames, I asked tstonembd if he was going to do one and he said I could go ahead.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Return of the Jedi- review

I've always hated that battle on the planet. The ewoks are insanely overmatched. I hate when movies have the good guys win by some sort of fluke occurence. ROTJ would have been so much better if the planet was full of wookies instead of Ewoks.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always hated that battle on the planet. The ewoks are insanely overmatched. I hate when movies have the good guys win by some sort of fluke occurence. ROTJ would have been so much better if the planet was full of wookies instead of Ewoks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was annoying, but IMO not nearly as annoying as the emperor's continual telling to Luke "you are so close to the dark side," to which Luke would rebell even though he was close enough already.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:27 PM

You should really learn to describe characters as somthing other than "badass" or "annoying".
Old 05-23-2005, 08:27 PM

An interesting question that tstone posed to me was how Luke could beat on Vader only when he was angry. Why was this? Does this mean that the dark side is more powerful?

Also another question was who would win in a fight, Yoda or the emporer?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:32 PM

correct your analysis is. greater than all the rest ESB remains. if love are you seeking, teddyBacca, in my bed shall you find it.

heart you, do i.

-fatmaTheHutt
Old 05-23-2005, 08:42 PM

thats really not what i asked, and i didnt ask if yoda could beat the emperor. i asked why it is that luke cannot destroy vader or the emperor without converting the dark side. that is like saying that anybody who kills them will turn to the darkside. they are basically invinsible then, and it really doesnt make any sense.

youre right that it was annoying that the emperor kept intervening when luke was turning to dark. what a bonehead.

i really hated the ewoks, they are certainly annoying. what is even more annoying is that these clones are a total waste of space. you see ewoks tackling these guys like theyre nothing. its pathetic.

not only that, you see the clones pin down leia and han through the 3 movies many times, say "freeze" and rather than just shoot them or do something, they just stand there until leia and han make a move and kill them. the clones also dont shoot as much as they should. its as if they are saving their firepower for something. its blatantly obvious that if the clones used their weapondry like machine guns that none of these rebels would come close to surviving.

im really disappointed with the whole series. the production sucks and luke is an annoying little bitch. they treat him like hes a powerful jedi in the movies, but hes really stupider than grass. the new movies (1-3) are much better, despite what everyone else thinks. at least they dont make you wonder "what the hell just happened? that doesnt make any sense" every 5 seconds.

you think these characters are "badass" in 4-6? theyre relatively pathetic imo. the true badasses of star wars are in episodes 1-3.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:47 PM

Sorry I misphrased your question.

The clones were another very stupid aspect.

I'm really looking forward to 1-3. I'm going to watch them tomorrow, the next day and Saturday.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:52 PM

People have to stop posting reviews that are 95% summarizing the movie.

I thought the emperor-vader-luke scene was one of the best in the whole saga, you wrote a whole chunk of your review about two lines the emporer said. Then you go on to say that the scene is near perfect anyways. Was all of that neccesary?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:52 PM

Think of the force as a cicle with two halves light and dark. When using the dark side a Jedi or Sith is using entire circle of the force. "good" Jedi only us 1/2 of the force the light side. This is why Luke and Anakin are stronger when they use their anger.

This is countered though because the dark side tends to be self destructive in one way or the other.