Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Hit the straight?

This hand was in a $11 buyin. The had a couple of reads on this guy....he called a raise with a Q3o and was constantly limping in. He seemed like the typical weak PP player. Definately thought that I had him beat when I hit the straight, did I do anything wrong?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

Hero (t725)
SB (t785)
BB (t1435)
UTG (t740)
UTG+1 (t695)
MP1 (t1200)
MP2 (t595)
MP3 (t730)
CO (t1095)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t15, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t72.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t30</font>, MP2 calls t30, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls t70, MP2 folds.

Turn: (t302.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, MP1 calls t200.

River: (t702.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t702.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Jh Kh (flush, king high).
Hero has 5c 5h (straight, eight high).
Outcome: MP1 wins t702.50. </font>
Old 05-23-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Hit the straight?

Rough hand. I hate the way you played it, but if it's any consolation I'm not sure what the best way is :-p. Here's what I'd do.

1) Call flop. You're making this pot way too big for just having a one-card OESD with two hearts on the board.

2) Once you hit the turn. If it's bet to you again, I may just call there too. The flush hit, you could still be beat by a couple higher straights.

3) I would probably fold the river depending on action and this board. This is very ugly, and you have the worst possible hand in a range of decent hands. In other words, sure, you have a straight, but with that board, you may as well have 2 high.

I could be wrong in all of it though.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:21 PM

What was the action on the river?

Im not keen on the raise on the flop. Even if he is in with junk, is likely ahead here if he is calling, or at least has a legit draw. At the same time, he either has you beat now, or has a chance to in the future (overcard flush draw, if he hits any of his outs, he wont be folding - just one example).

With me not raising on the flop, the turn would have happened differently, so i cant comment on what id expect to happen, but assuming i made your flop raise, your bet isnt too bad. Its a good bet - however i see an argument for pushing here (i dont like it, but im not much of a party style push/fold player). I leave that one up to others.

I dunno what happened on the river. If he bet, i make a crying call. If he checks, i check behind. Note, if he has nowt he aint calling, and if he has a pair he aint calling much i dont think. The worry is he has hit that turn (which would be going through my head). Just check call the river.

All in all, not bad imo. The results are what the results are.

Phill
Old 05-23-2005, 02:26 PM

To clarify on the river he checked and I bet all-in, then he called. I figured that he had nothing because of his passive play.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:41 PM

I would check behind therefor, i dont like his passive play calling here, smells more trappish than anything - as the other poster pointed out, your not remotely holding the nuts, i see no value here in betting the river.

Phill