Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Nuclear Deal Reached

So some of the judges are going to get their up or down vote, but we keep the filibuster to use in "extreme" cases. I can't really figure out who won here, except Frist sounds mad on C-SPAN right now, and Reid is practically glowing, talking about how he'll get his first good sleep in a long time tonight.

Also...

Personally, I didn't think the Reps had the votes, and we were going to get everything we wanted, yet Reid sounds happy with the compromise .. so .. I'm not entirely sure what's going on.

Edit: This makes me so happy
Old 05-23-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Nuclear Deal Reached

Grey,

I knew you were a freeper!!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:17 PM

So let me get this straight, Owen and Brown will now get an up and down vote while the Democrats are agreeing to and I quote from the link below:

The agreement said future judicial nominees should "only be filibustered under extraordinary circumstances," with each Democratic senator holding the discretion to decide when those conditions had been met.

This must mean that the Democrats are admitting that the circumstances with Owen and Brown are not extraordinary thus any similar nominee to the Supreme Court lets say wouldn't be filibustered. And when the Democrats filibuster the next nominee they'll have to go on the record as to why the nomination represents an extraordinary circumstance. Anybody think that the Republicans will be reluctant to push for conservative judges in light of this? The Democrats won this battle? Sure they did [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].....

Senators Avert Showdown Over Filibuster
Old 05-23-2005, 10:34 PM

Nominating Brown or Owens to the Supreme Court would be more "extraordinary" than simply putting them on a federal court. And the Supreme Court is what this fight is all really about.

Edit: pwned.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:46 PM

I think it's a win for President Bush and Senate moderates (like John McCain and Ben Nelson). It's a practical victory for Bush. He gets some of his judges through. The moderate Senators have the political victory. They are the ones flexing their muscles right now.

Senate conservatives, especially Frist, wanted a showdown and a victory. They're be gritting their teeth for a while. Reid should be happy only because he escaped the political defeat that seemed inevitable.

However, I think this is just a fight postponed. Eventually, the Democratic left is going to want to make a stand against a specific judge. The Republican right will be willing to fight.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...However, I think this is just a fight postponed. Eventually, the Democratic left is going to want to make a stand against a specific judge. The Republican right will be willing to fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual, Dynasty has hit the nail on the head. This fight is postponed, not canceled.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...However, I think this is just a fight postponed. Eventually, the Democratic left is going to want to make a stand against a specific judge. The Republican right will be willing to fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

As usual, Dynasty has hit the nail on the head. This fight is postponed, not canceled.

[/ QUOTE ]Okay, if by "hit the nail on the head" you mean "stating the ridiculously obvious".

Bottom line, we can still filibuster, and you can't change the rules until 2008.

PDF of the deal
Old 05-24-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Bottom line, we can still filibuster, and you can't change the rules until 2008.

PDF of the deal

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing about this document which will prevent the Republicans from changing the filibuster rules if the Democrats attempt to block the nomination of a judicial nominee which isn't "extraordinary". And, "extraordinary" is going to be defined differently, even by the Senators who signed the document. If the Republicans who signed the document see all the Democrats who signed joining together to block the nomination of a standard conservative judge, the fight is on again.

Grey, you need to stop depending on the DailyKos for your analysis. They couldn't even tell you when the 109th congress ends (it's January of 2007). You should be able to recognize that the site is just hard core left-wingers telling each other what they want to hear.

I read the site about every other day before the election for fun. I remember reading through their election predictions. Not surprisingly, 99%+ had Kerry winning (sometimes with 400 or more EC votes), more than 90% had the Democrats winning the senate, and about 20% had the Democrats winning the House. The site is a joke.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, if by "hit the nail on the head" you mean "stating the ridiculously obvious".

[/ QUOTE ]

You really shouldn't make things personal.

BTW, if it was so obvious, why did you write "I can't really figure out who won here" in your original post?
Old 05-24-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Damn Rhinos !!

RINO = Republican in Name Only