Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Follow Through Turn Bet

No reads but just talking simple hand reading here, it seems to me that if they have a made hand on this board, with me on the button they will have to raise the flop, too many bad cards can come and I can check behind. So I bet maybe get a pocket pair out or value bet vs. draw (and also get it to shodown cause if I check behind on turn I can't really call a river bet). That being said, whenever I make this turn bet I always seem to get raised and have to call another bet to see what comes.

PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
Old 05-20-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Follow Through Turn Bet

Given you didn't have any reads, I think your play was reasonable cuz you might buy yourself a free look at the river and you might win right there.
Actually more interesting would be analyzing the UTG and CO's play....I would guess CO had some sort of AJ or KJ and he sucks....or KT and he sucks (for not raising the river)...I would put CO on a set of 3s or more likely JQ, with a small chance of 2 clubs of something. Will you share these hands and we can discuss their play?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:56 PM

I check the turn. This is the perfect spot to "check with outs" imo. Both opponents called your flop bet and the flush card just added another draw on the turn. I don't think anyone both opponents will fold on the turn in this hand.

It's true that if you bet the turn your remaining opponents may check to you on the river and allow you to remain in the driver's seat, but I think the value of that is much less than the value you get by taking the free card. This is even more true when you think about all of the times that you will get check raised on the turn and have to call that bet. I think the best use of your positional advantage is to check behind on the turn.

caveat: I do not play 30/60 atm.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:13 PM

Listen to MarkD!

And regarding:

[ QUOTE ]
it seems to me that if they have a made hand on this board, with me on the button they will have to raise the flop, too many bad cards can come and I can check behind

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't automatically asume people will think like you, people love to checkraise in this game. You should also consider what they might be calling with. It is impropable than none of them has a better hand than you once they both call the turn.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:22 PM

markD, you say the flush card comes on the turn but... what could happen if i check behind is he comes out betting on river and i have to fold. if i bet turn he can't really check/raise semibluff on that board with the action so far, so he'll call, miss his draw, and my ace high wins on river