Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Which two starting hands have the closest win % preflop?

Obviously I mean starting hands that don't have the same numerical value. The closest I could find doing random tests was this.

3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 49.72%
a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] t [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 49.70%
Old 05-15-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Which two starting hands have the closest win % preflop?

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I mean starting hands that don't have the same numerical value. The closest I could find doing random tests was this.

3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 49.72%
a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] t [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 49.70%

[/ QUOTE ]

My initial response would have been this -- or in a broader sense, suited overcards vs. an underpair.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:54 AM

Yeah, but I was curious about the specific answer. Someone else has to have thought of this before me.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:08 AM

I remember reading somewhere that "pair is a favourite against everything else then a bigger pair"

But now I tested twodimes.net and found out that actually

AT [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is favourite against 2 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
(and most likely thats not the only one..)

Can this be correct?
Old 05-15-2005, 04:11 AM

I thought it was something like 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] vs 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]?
Old 05-15-2005, 04:21 AM

are you assuming HU? drawing hands like suited connectors go plus EV with number of players due to their ability to take large potsoff a full table when they do hit.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:25 AM

A pair is not always a favorite against overcards. It depends on how suited and connected the overcards are. I believe I read somewhere on this forum that 88 is the cutoff for a pair being 50% vs overcards, but I could be making it up, and I don't feel like checking twodimes.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can this be correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed it is. One of my hobbies is running all sorts of hands through that simulator and as it happens, almost any suited connectors have a better chance than low pockets. They can even have one or even two gaps. Actually as long as the SCs are not right above the pair they will be a favorite. JTs is THE best hand against low pockets. Better than AKs because it can make a lot more straights. JTs beats pocket 7s and under. Hell your connecters don't even have to be suited to be the favorite sometimes. JTo beats 6s and under depending on the suits. 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] beats 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was something like 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] vs 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 49.79%
7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 48.80%

According to http://simulator.pokertips.org/simulator.php at least.

[ QUOTE ]
are you assuming HU? drawing hands like suited connectors go plus EV with number of players due to their ability to take large potsoff a full table when they do hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, HU. I realized I left that out after posting, but I just assumed everyone would know what I meant.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:27 PM

Yeah, I was assuming HU. And damn the WPT telecasts for lying to me...50/50 my ass. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 11:16 PM

Nobody knows?