Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 02:06 AM

Default I don\'t get well paid on my premium hands in mw urps

mw urps = multiway unraised pots

--

specifically, I bet out in ep or even lp with 2pr, trips, a straight, whatever. I never seem to get paid on these hands.

Can you guys offer any tips?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: I don\'t get well paid on my premium hands in mw urps

So here's the thing about unraised pots. Unless someone is slowplaying AA, they are unraised for a reason - namely nobody likes their hand enough to raise. What this means is that everyone is looking to improve. Given that you've improved, it's just that much harder for anyone else to do so (with some exceptions). So here is my general guideline:

I like to slowplay if its a relatively drawless flop with a sufficiently good hand (set, straight, top two). If someone bets I generally call then check/raise the turn. Really in this sort of situation you just hope someone has a lesser made hand.

When there's a flush draw on the board, I almost always bet. I think it helps that I almost always bet out my flush draws in EP, especially if I have something to go with it (over card, gutshot). Also, a lot of people like to limp with suited cards and will generally call a potsize bet on the flop, which makes you far more likely to get some action on your hand (not to mention needed to protect it).

The other time it's good to fastplay is on broadway flops. Two or more broadways which make you a straight, set or two pair is a great time to bet out because you almost always get a caller from TPGK or something.

So basically, the key to playing unraised pots when you flop a great hand is to take note of board texture. Especially with sets and flushes, your goal should be to win a big pot. It's not worth it to go crazy on a drawless flop unless you are very sure someone is going to come along for the ride.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:41 AM

The best way to get paid on good hands is to bet bad hands and show them. You only need to do it a few times.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:45 AM

Decently good advice xorb. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There are so many factors as to why you may not be getting action on your made hands. Too many really to list, but I'm going to mention a general point if you play a TAG sort of game. The only people who are going to give you action, if you're on the table enough are the super fish. The rest of the table is going to think twice about calling with TPDK,or even middle pair. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So how you play the game is a big factor in the amount of action you generate. Online a large number of players aren't really paying attention, but enough are to make a difference. At least that's what I've found. So if you learn to LAG a little from time to time, in the correct spots, your hands will be paid off big time. Of course when you LAG you have to make WELL timed bluffs.

All that being said.... TEXTURE, texture, texture... along with the players that are in the pot play a huge role in how I play a hand. Lots of weak players and I have a good/decent hand, I'll slow it down a little. Great hand and weak players, I'll bet more then I normally would. A lot of decent/strong players in the pot and I'll LAG it up. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]