Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 08:41 PM

Default AK - bet or c/r turn on non-threatening board

Sorry, no reads this time.
This hand made me think about Nate's recent post about check/raising the turn. I thought this was a good spot for a c/r instead of the stop-n-go on the turn for several reasons:

1) The board is non-threatening, so I don't see villian taking a free card. His raise can't mean a draw.
2) Most 1/2 opponents will continue to bet the turn when checked to, but they will rarely raise a worst hand in this situation (I had no read he was a lag). So we're usually bet/3-betting a worst hand on the turn.
3) These opponents can't lay down a pair to a turn c/r. So I win 3BB when ahead to a smaller pair.
4) A smaller ace will usually call down when bet into on the turn. But when I c/r, I find that this often generates more action since these bad players really dislike being check/raised. Also, I often see players wait till the turn to c/r KK-QQ in this spot, so this player might put me on these hands and decide to 3-bet for me.

Point 4 is pretty speculative, but I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this (it seems like a more psychological factor).

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font> ....
Old 05-18-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: AK - bet or c/r turn on non-threatening board

You say this is between Stop n going the turn or C/R it. i feel this is between 3-betting the flop or C/R the turn. But giving the board's lack of a draw I like the turn C/R and i'm not too scared he'll take the free card.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:32 AM

This is a pretty standard line for me in this scenario.

Point 4 I agree seems a little thin and is probably player dependant but 1-3 are plently justification for the c/r.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:15 AM

I usually take this line or 3 bet the flop and lead the turn. And call down if he raises me again.
nh
Old 05-19-2005, 07:38 AM

I agree.