Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Live 40/80 good river call?

I am in EP with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

UTG folds, to me and I raise. Folded to this loose tricky Jamaican dude (who is stuck $2k, some from tilting some from bad beats), who calls. All else folds. HU.

Flop is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, Jamaica calls pretty quickly.

Turn is a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, Jamaica thinks for 4 seconds and calls.

River is a 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, Jamaica insta fires 80, I call.

Lawrence
Old 05-17-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Live 40/80 good river call?

You should have check folded on the turn. I would not call on the river as the 4 makes your hand even worse. I mean if the guy called on the flop with a draw, you start looking at the possible draws and the 4 either makes his draw or makes him a pair. not to mention the 9 on the turn and the possible flush. Of course you probably won the hand since you're posting it. But I still say check fold the turn unless you are playing against an exceptional bluffer.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:08 PM

i wouldve folded. it's entirely possible that he had nothing but since he was on tilt maybe he had something like 63 with a club and the turn gave him a double gutter which hit on the river
Old 05-17-2005, 05:14 PM

I like it.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:21 PM

Easy river call.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have check folded on the turn. I would not call on the river as the 4 makes your hand even worse. I mean if the guy called on the flop with a draw, you start looking at the possible draws and the 4 either makes his draw or makes him a pair. not to mention the 9 on the turn and the possible flush. Of course you probably won the hand since you're posting it. But I still say check fold the turn unless you are playing against an exceptional bluffer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opponent's draws include overcards that picked up a flush redraw on the turn, which works out to a lot of hands. I think your opponent will have something like K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] here alot.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:28 PM

Very nice. If he made his flush on the turn I can't foresee any scenario where he doesn't raise there.

On the river I think he is sensing weakness and making a play for the pot. Maybe you were up against Ac4x or Ac3x there, thus his hesitation on the turn call...

Anyway, you are probably beat, but it isn't a slam dunk.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Opponent's draws include overcards that picked up a flush redraw on the turn, which works out to a lot of hands. I think your opponent will have something like K J here alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if that's the case then you just go all the way to the river with you AK, AQ, pocket pair hands against this opponent no matter what the board reads. I agree that it is not uncommon to run into these kinds of players. But then what's the point of trying to make any kind of read or river laydown? Against the average B&M player, the board and the action in this hand would strongly indicate that A-Q is not good. Sure you're getting 6.5:1 on a call, but also remember that as the hand progresses, so does the number of possible hands for your opponent.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Opponent's draws include overcards that picked up a flush redraw on the turn, which works out to a lot of hands. I think your opponent will have something like K J here alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if that's the case then you just go all the way to the river with you AK, AQ, pocket pair hands against this opponent no matter what the board reads. I agree that it is not uncommon to run into these kinds of players. But then what's the point of trying to make any kind of read or river laydown? Against the average B&M player, the board and the action in this hand would strongly indicate that A-Q is not good. Sure you're getting 6.5:1 on a call, but also remember that as the hand progresses, so does the number of possible hands for your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dude is not a typical B&M opponent, but a loose, tricky player 40/80 who might be tilting. I doubt it's going to harm you very much to *always* showdown ace high on a board like this against an opponent like this if he's just been calling.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope nate's right because this is my standard line out of position against this type of opponent.