Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Underpairs

These situations come up, and I feel like I should just give up on the flop, but I feel really weak for thinking that. Here's a couple of examples.

Hero is EP with 99 and open raises in a loose game. He gets 2 cold callers and the BB calls.

Flop:AKJ

Checked to me...just check/fold? How player dependent is this?

Hero is button with 99, 3 limpers, he raises, blinds fold, limpers call.

Flop: KJT

Checked to hero, what? I bet, 2 callers.

Turn: who cares, it's not a 9. Now what? check/fold the river UI?

How player dependent are these things? How does that affect your decisions.

I just feel like I'm throwing bets away when I bet into players with underpairs like this. Late position I've just been betting the flop and turn to take a free showdown, but I'm losing money in these situations. Do I just give the pot up or what?
Old 05-18-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Underpairs

If it's HU or 3 handed, I'll try winning the pot on the flop. I c/f UI when that fails.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These situations come up, and I feel like I should just give up on the flop, but I feel really weak for thinking that. Here's a couple of examples.

Hero is EP with 99 and open raises in a loose game. He gets 2 cold callers and the BB calls.

Flop:AKJ

Checked to me...just check/fold? How player dependent is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet this once. I'm folding to a a raise and check/folding the rest of the streets unless it gets HU. If it gets HU I might drop another bet in the turn, read dependant.

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is button with 99, 3 limpers, he raises, blinds fold, limpers call.

Flop: KJT

Checked to hero, what? I bet, 2 callers.

Turn: who cares, it's not a 9. Now what? check/fold the river UI?

How player dependent are these things? How does that affect your decisions.

I just feel like I'm throwing bets away when I bet into players with underpairs like this. Late position I've just been betting the flop and turn to take a free showdown, but I'm losing money in these situations. Do I just give the pot up or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the flop suited or rainbow here? I'm more inclined to bet the turn if the board is suited. Readless I bet again here (even rainbow), and take the showdown.

I've been wondering about these hands as well, so I'm interested to see what other people have to say. I'd take my advice with a grain of salt, because I think I may be going too far in these sorts of situations.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:35 PM

First hand I put in one more bet on the flop and no more.

Second hand, I check the turn and check/fold the river
Old 05-18-2005, 01:42 PM

I can't think of any reason to bet hand 1. Hand 2 maybe. But I still think it's a pretty easy check. 3 overcards, multiway pot, loose opponents...I think dumping in any more money in these situations is a losing proposition.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:46 PM

That's what I was thinking. I felt like an idiot betting these hands yesterday. I had this come up about 6 times in my session last night. I think I lost plenty postflop.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the flop suited or rainbow here? I'm more inclined to bet the turn if the board is suited. Readless I bet again here (even rainbow), and take the showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter. These are hyothetical. What's your reasoning here.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter. These are hyothetical. What's your reasoning here.

[/ QUOTE ]

A buncha little things:
<ul type="square"> [*]The board is pretty draw heavy.[*]My hand might be good, especially if it's a 2flush board. [*]I don't wanna let them see the river for free if they're drawing.[*]They might've been peeling a single card with a A or 9, and plan on folding the turn.[*]I would hate for me to check through, have the first limper bet, and have the second limper fold. I would want to call really bad here, and I would be looking at the turn and saying "I should have just bet there".[*]None of my outs are very good, the Q's tainted by any A, the 9's by any Q, so I don't mind folding to a turn check/raise. [*]There is some value in a showdown. I take down this pot once in a while if I bet the turn and check through the river.[/list]
That said, it's pretty likely someone has a pair here, so a bet could just be chip-spewing.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:55 PM

Well..the thing I don't like about it is if someone calls...you don't know what the heck is going on a draw a made hand or what.

You check the turn and you're screwed.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well..the thing I don't like about it is if someone calls...you don't know what the heck is going on a draw a made hand or what.

You check the turn and you're screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're agreeing, but I had some trouble understanding this post.

But not knowing where we are is the reason I want to bet the turn and see the showdown -- I don't know what they have and my hand definitely has some value at a showdown, I just don't know if it has enough to warrant a bet on this turn.