Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 08:40 AM

Default A brief intro and my first hand posting

I've been playing since December. Started with WLLHE, found PokerTracker and improved my game with SSHE.

I started at .02/.04, and as I reached a reasonable number of hands with BB/100 > 3, I moved up to the next level. Things progressed well until I reached 1/2, where I played 5,000 hands as a loser until I decided to move back down to polish my game and rebuild my confidence.

This is going pretty well, and I now have played around 25,000 ring games. I have also played a few tournaments; this weekend I placed 2nd in a field of 622!

While my stats are good (TAA), I know I have lots of room to improve. I am rereading SSHE, and will now spend a little less time playing and more time analysing and requesting help from this terrific group (I've been lurking here since February).

For my first hand, here is a game I played this weekend that I'd like to share and get your comments.

I've played over 1,000 games with Villian, who is a winning TAA.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

River: (13.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 21.25 BB
Old 05-17-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Re: A brief intro and my first hand posting

Welcome to the boards.

I looked at the hand and thought, "why is he posting this?" I mean, villian has JJ or QQ, right? Then I thought, he didn't hit the royal did he?

If villian is a winning TAA player, why are you playing with him? He's the sort of player I avoid.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If villian is a winning TAA player, why are you playing with him? He's the sort of player I avoid.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't always avoid good players especially as you move up in levels. But if you sit down at a table with one or two good ones, try to have them on your left, rather than on your right.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:57 AM

Nice hand. If villain had a royal, you were simply destined to lose a bunch of money on this one. If that was the case, be glad there was a cap.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice hand. If villain had quads or a royal, you were simply destined to lose a bunch of money on this one. If that was the case, be glad there was a cap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are we afraid of quads?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:01 AM

Because I wasn't paying attention the first time I read the hand. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2005, 10:35 AM

I agree about trying to avoid other good players, and if you cannot, to try and keep them on your left. However the rest of the table was pretty soft, and when he and I entered the same pot, I was pretty wary of him.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:37 AM

here ATs might be less likely than something like QQ or JJ, because he three bet your EP raise from the Big Blind. IMO most TAAs are less inclined to do that with ATs

it would be awesome if you sucked out on the river
Old 05-17-2005, 10:39 AM

Killer hand. Did you have a question? Other than, "Why the f*** wasn't I playing at the Bad Beat Tables, today?" I mean?

Was it JJ, QQ, or A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]?

Edit: Also, was Villan a 2+2er?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:41 AM

TAA wouldnt/shouldnt have 3 bet ATs. I'd be happy to pay the royal if he had it - but would wish I was on a BadBeat jackpot table at Party.
Also happy to pay off JJ on the turn.
I say it looks good.