Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 10:11 AM

Default 1010 short stack, but not desperate, should have pushed preflop?

this hand from a stars $10 +1 tourney, i have a short stack of about 1800 (ave ~5K)with blinds 75/150 and have just doubled up with AA the previous hand. the next hand i get 1010 on the button with one limper in front of me. i decide not to push but standard raise to 3bb, the blinds fold and the limper calls.

the flop comes 7 J 7

the limper checks to me, to which i bet 3bb leaveing me with a stack of a bit more than 700, he check raises me allin and i call figureing hes trying to push me around and can have unpaired high cards. i insta call the raise and he shows KJ. i dont think i played this hand well, and think i should have just pushed preflop since i was not gonna lay it down, do you think that is the best play?

also do you aggree with my critisism that i gave the player too much credit for actually being able to check raise bluff me? in his position i would do the same with a made hand, so i know i made a mistake by calling.

generally what is the cutoff stack size for pushing preflop with a hand like 1010 and in the position described above instead of a standard raise?
Old 05-14-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: 1010 short stack, but not desperate, should have pushed preflop?

Firstly I don't think 3xBB is big enough of a raise with a limper already in. I would raise at least 4xBB here which is 600, but that is 1/3 of your stack. You need to get some chips here to get back up nearer the average - so I think you have to push preflop. I would anyway. It may be different if you know you're first to act on the flop, i.e. you're in the SB. Then I think it's worth making a decent raise PF and pushing the flop whatever comes. I think this move is called the stop 'n go?
Old 05-14-2005, 10:47 AM

yeah that move is a stop n go. thanks for the advice.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:15 AM

Actually, for future reference, a stop n' go is when you call a raise from the blinds and then push on the flop. Gives the guy a chance to miss his hand, so it gives you more folding equity than just pushing preflop in situations where it's appropriate.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:25 AM

Ah, ok, thanks for that. So, is there a trendy name for the move I described?

Cheers.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:02 PM

yes.. its known as the call-and-go (home)