Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 09:49 AM

Default 15-30 Capped AA in the BB

Party 15-30, no reads, no stats (forgot to even fire up PT before I opened up PP).

First hand I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in BB. UTG limps, UTG+1 raises, 2 folds, MP1 three-bets, MP2 caps, some folds, I call in BB, limper and original raiser call, thee-better calls. Five to the flop for around 20.5 BB.

My question is, is this an auto-bet no matter how the flop comes until I meet resistance? I assume this is no time to get tricky, as there is already so much money in the middle. But it seems like a check raise here might be profitable, as it might be bet and raised before it comes back to me in the BB. What's your initial thought, before considering the flop? (obviously your line might change when the flop comes out, but you usually have an idea of what your line is beforehand).

So the flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet. Two folds. Three better calls, capper folds.

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - Bet, call.

River: brick - Bet, call.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: 15-30 Capped AA in the BB

I think it was played well.

I wouldn't check the flop for fear of giving a free card to a diamond draw. Not sure what I put 3 better on, but it's almost certainly not a king, or else you would have seen a raise on the flop. Strange that he turned into a calling station, although he had the odds for almost any draw.

I keep jamming this pot too, because a check will cost you a BB on 4th or 5th.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:50 AM

you couldn't ask for a better flop.

since you have no reads and the pot is already 10bbs, i dont mind getting out the riff raff. check raising here would tend to knock out hands that are correct to call your 1 bet, then another 1 or 2 bets after that (hands like 9x) or a bdstraight+diamond draw (diamond draw aint goin anywhere), or hands w/ an overcard+pair like A2.

anyways, if you checkraise you get to knock them out and have showed no strength so far. this flop is NEVER EVER getting checked through. not w/ 20sbs in there and 5 people to act 3 of whom showed preflop aggression in position.

checkraise here.

-Barron
Old 05-11-2005, 12:00 PM

I agree with Barron, someone else is going to bet this flop, and a checkraise is good for you. If you felt pretty sure that you would be raised and could 3-bet the bet out could be ok, but in this particular situation a bet out shows a lot of strength, so hands like QQ won't be raising you, and everyone knows they have to show the best hand to win.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:00 PM

I think you are in a perfect position to c/r the turn!
Old 05-11-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't check the flop for fear of giving a free card to a diamond draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehe, won't happen.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:15 PM

Hmm, that never even crossed my mind. You might be right.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehe, won't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:41 AM

Party 15-30, no reads, no stats (forgot to even fire up PT before I opened up PP).

First hand I'm dealt A A in BB. UTG limps, UTG+1 raises, 2 folds, MP1 three-bets, MP2 caps, some folds, I call in BB, limper and original raiser call, thee-better calls. Five to the flop for around 20.5 BB.

My question is, is this an auto-bet no matter how the flop comes until I meet resistance? I assume this is no time to get tricky, as there is already so much money in the middle. But it seems like a check raise here might be profitable, as it might be bet and raised before it comes back to me in the BB. What's your initial thought, before considering the flop? (obviously your line might change when the flop comes out, but you usually have an idea of what your line is beforehand).

I am fairly new to this limit, but here goes:
For one I would expect at least one big pair in the opponents, you have no read you say, but seems a little bit on the loose side with this many callers. I would suspect utg+1 trying an isobet, meaning possibly one of your A`s are gone. Possible a small/medium pair out there and/or medium sized suited connectors.

So the flop comes K 9 2

I would worry some about the set possibility. Anywich way if u are planning on seeing this down I believe that checking is not such a bad option. Any draw to flush will stick in there anyway, and lower pairs might think they are good and give some action.

I bet. Two folds. Three better calls, capper folds.
This is where I think that utg and capper might have given an extra bet if u had checked. I dont think u have gained much info on 3 better, he could have a set and just wait until river to raise u since u show willingness to bet.

Turn: 5 - Bet, call.
Check raise here I believe is giving a free card, possible holdings of 3 better I would narrow down by now to k-high card suited other then diamonds, or flush draw, kk or qq jj
If u check raise U will probably fold the opponent and end up loosing a river bet or he reveals to you that you are beaten. So bet, still without any indication of the real strenght of your opponents hand

River: brick - Bet, call.
Ok clearly u have won.This is where u could get the cold expensive shower when u played the hand betting out. Paying heavily to 1 out.
If u had checked the flopp iBelieve u could have sucked in the other players and earned an some extra bets
Your opponent must have been rather fishy

Just my opinion
Stokken
Old 05-12-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehe, won't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you dont play the party 15 too often.