Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 08:40 AM

Default Request for high VPIPers

This might be the last thing you want to do in the world, but I would find it extremely helpful if one (or more) of the successful high vpipers (mperich, Grisgara, etc) could post a string of 30-40 random/representative hands. I'd like to see what you guys are doing with your marginal hands over a decent string, how people are playing against you, etc. when it's not just isolated to one hand example.

As I said, this might be giving away a few too many trade secrets, but it would be very interesting to me, and probably others.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Request for high VPIPers

its pretty simple. they steal much more than you do. they defend more than you do. they raise (or enter with) weak limpers more than you do. they are more likely to play some of those tweener hands than you are, and probably aggressively given the right setup.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:49 AM

If anyone follows through with this, it would be interesting to see when they fold these hands post-flop also.

As someone else just mentioned, people routinely remark that you can play more hands if you have superior post-flop skills. I assume that often means folding when you have a piece of the flop out of the recognition that you're probably dominated. Distinguishing those dominated situations from the situations with genuine outs is the interesting exerice for me.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
its pretty simple. they steal much more than you do. they defend more than you do. they raise (or enter with) weak limpers more than you do. they are more likely to play some of those tweener hands than you are, and probably aggressively given the right setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: if you are in the mood for an experiment to understand what i am saying:

In your next session, get your ASB to 40+ and your BB defense stat to around 50-55. Also raise hands like KTo and QJo or K9s or stuff like that from CO or Button when you have a lame-o limp infront of you. Assumming you arent already doing most of this stuff.... it should get you to high 20s or near 30 VPIP.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: if you are in the mood for an experiment to understand what i am saying:

In your next session, get your ASB to 40+ and your BB defense stat to around 50-55. Also raise hands like KTo and QJo or K9s or stuff like that from CO or Button when you have a lame-o limp infront of you. Assumming you arent already doing most of this stuff.... it should get you to high 20s or near 30 VPIP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just make sure you do this at 1/2.

Krishan
Old 05-12-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much it. The steal situations are especially tricky -- you need a good read on your opponent + consideration of the flop texture to play those right. Sometimes you have to hammer your missed flops, sometimes you need to bet the flop, take the free card on the turn, and fold the river . . . it's just very marginal all around, and I won't pretend that I've figured it all out. Interesting learning experience though, that's for sure.

In general I make no claim that the extra 5% of hands I play make me any $$ at all. But they make life more interesting [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].