Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 12:42 PM

Default When to give a bad opponent credit?

So this table was rather loose (musta been full of bonus chasers, since Noble only counts contributed hands), with a couple of people who would call multiple bets preflop and then call down with any 2. Villain in this case was (over about 40 hands) preflop raise-happy, but typically laid down to pressure on the flop or turn.

Comments on all streets are welcome, in particular the flop and turn.

Noble 3/6 limit hold'em - 9 players

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
2 folds, Hero limps, 5 folds, BB (Villain) raises, Hero 3-bets, Villain calls.

Flop: (7.5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain checks, Hero bets, Villain calls

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain bets, Hero raises, Villain calls

River: (6.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain checks, Hero bets, Villain calls

Results: 8.25 BB

I'll post the showdown after a few comments, if there's any interest.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: When to give a bad opponent credit?

2 things
#1 I am not open limping ATo here if anything its raise/fold
#2 his bet on the turn may be in indication you are dominated kicker wise here or he paired his kicker on the flop. I'm calling down here no need to toss in another BB when I think you are either way ahead or way way behind.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1 I am not open limping ATo here if anything its raise/fold

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks -- my PFR is a lot lower than I want it to be (5-6%), I suppose it's situations like this that I need to be watching out for.

Veering off-topic from the hand in question, are there any hands you'd open-limp with in early/mid position at a really loose (45%-ish players per flop) neutral small stakes game?

I think I need to reread Miller.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:20 PM

Is villain passive? It sounds like he's semipassive from your description. I'd call it down.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:30 PM

He's on the edge of maniacal pre-flop, and yeah pretty passive post flop. No PT for Noble, but I'd guess that his PFR% over the forty-ish hands I saw was around 15-20%. Noble doesn't show mucked cards and he almost never led the betting on the river, so I didn't get to see what he was raising with most of the time (just that it was only enough to win once over those forty hands, iirc).

Postflop from EP he'd typically bet out, get raised, call the raise, check/fold the turn (I saw that at least a half-dozen times). A couple times he'd call down when he raised from LP PF and it was bet into him on the flop.

It sounds like calling down was probably the right idea. As it turns out, he had (white) <font color="white">92 of spades. Flopped his ugly-ass flush</font>.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are there any hands you'd open-limp with in early/mid position at a really loose (45%-ish players per flop) neutral small stakes game?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lots. Small pocket pairs. Axs. TJs. QJs. QTs....but not ATo.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lots. Small pocket pairs. Axs. TJs. QJs. QTs....but not ATo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, okay. I think I see.. it's not quite "raise or fold" here, it's "(raise or) FOLD". Makes sense.

I think I'll go find a suitably appropriate fish avatar to wear for a while now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2005, 03:25 PM

dont get the preflop limp 3 bet strategy you pulled off, why did you do it?
Old 05-10-2005, 03:42 PM

It wasn't really a strategy. I didn't feel comfortable raising a marginal hand from EP/MP (the error of my ways has been made clear to me here), but once it was head's-up against a guy I felt would raise with anything, I "knew" I had the best hand. I'd also seen him lay down to pressure pretty often post flop, so I figured my best line was pressure and lots of it.

I think my biggest mistake in the hand was to figure the turn raise meant either a) another shot at a steal or b) he had something like K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and figured me for a steal. He hadn't shown any real postflop aggression, so betting out on the turn was out of character after I was controlling the hand on the flop.

Another part of my problem is assuming that "any two cards" means "two crappy cards". That's going to be a tough one to deal with.