Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Playing Schedule Suggestions

If you wanted to play 50,000 hands per month, how would you go about doing so?

I'm currently trying to figure out the best schedule for this goal, and would appreciate any suggestions.

I've been trying to play 2,500 hands for 20 days out of the month (about 8 hours a day including smoke breaks). This gives me about 10 days off a month, which seems reasonable; however, I'm wondering if there is a better way to accomplish this.

~1,700 hands a day every day seems like it would be more possible to experience burnout, and cranking out 5,000 hands a day for 10 days would probably result in poorer play towards the end of each day as mental exhaustion begins to occur.

Is there a happy medium?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Playing Schedule Suggestions

At least nock out the smoke breaks.

50k hands isn't an easy goal. I like to spread my time over more days and take less full days off, but that's me.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
50k hands isn't an easy goal. I like to spread my time over more days and take less full days off, but that's me.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many hands do you try to play per month and over how many days?

BTW, I only play 6 tables at a time... probably a lot to some but too few for others [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 12:40 AM

I don't try for any amount. I just play.

Most months I played 30k or so hands, but i've been playing 3-4 tables getting used to higher limits. Last month i played 44k and that was the most by far.

Now that i'm back to 6 or so tables and will be playing 'full time' 40k sounds reasonable enough. Then again, I'll be travelling and doing other stuff, so I'm sure I'll have months where i play significantly less. Not that I really care, though.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last month i played 44k and that was the most by far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah last month I got in about 45,000 hands as well, but it seemed so much easier than this month, and I've been slacking bad.

I thought entering the Open Challenge May would help motivate me, but unfortunately it hasn't.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:00 AM

Yeah with school finishing up i only have 10k or so hands so far. Doesn't bother me cause I know i've been so busy...
Old 05-13-2005, 01:21 AM

I had the same problem you have now in trying to put in my hours each week and the solution that works best for me was the following.

I will play 3-4 hours in the afternoon, usually starting around noon. Then I will play 4-6 hours during the night.
How long I play at night is all dependant on how I'm feeling.

I don't try to play a set amount of hands each month, rather I try to set a minimum # of hours each week.

I have been averaging 42.5 hours per week for the lasr 3 months, previously I was self-emplyed putting in 70 hour weeks so 40 hours is reasonable.

When I first started doing this full time, I played only at night, I found I didn't like it. Then I tried playing for 8 hours straight 5 days a week, that didn't work for me either. I found a happy medium and it is working well for me.

Playing 6 tables you need to play 128 hours in the month do hit 50K hands.

I would suggest playing 5 days a week.

Play 2 hours in the afternoon and then 4 hour at night.
take 2 days off, rinse and repeat
Old 05-13-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing 6 tables you need to play 128 hours in the month do hit 50K hands.

I would suggest playing 5 days a week.

Play 2 hours in the afternoon and then 4 hour at night.
take 2 days off, rinse and repeat

[/ QUOTE ]

Good suggestion, but while practicing extensive table selection, I've only been getting in about 300 hands per hour, so it's more like 167 hours per month (more than 40hrs/wk).

I like the splitting up time idea, but I've become so accustomed to playing one long session that I fear splitting it up would result in me abandoning the next session altogether.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:36 AM

I couldn't play like this. The most I can stomach in one sitting is usually three hours. I try to get 30 hours a week in. I play at least a little each day, at least a half session or 1.5 hours. I give myself some flexibility as to how I want to distribute the 3 hour blocks. If I play twice in one day, I eat dinner and watch a movie in between. I try to make sure I never have to play more than 6 hours in one day.

Actually I really don't play by time. I play 800 hand sessions, which comes out to about 3 hours when 4 tabling. I hit 32000 hands last month and took the last two days off. If you used this method on 6 tables you should hit 48000 with two or three days to spare.

If you want more days off, you can increase the session length and/or play more two session days.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want more days off, you can increase the session length and/or play more two session days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been considering 15 12 hour sessions and 2+ weeks off (intermittently of course).

That might be feasible, I dunno.