Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Computer Question (Mac vs. PC)

Hey all,

So my laptop just went on the fritz (won't even turn on) and I think I may just buy a new computer rather than shell out to get it repaired. I really like the Mac Titanium Powerbooks, but I've always owned a PC and I'm not sure if I'll be able to run my poker software on a Mac.

I know there are windows emulators for Macs like Virtual PC, and I was hoping that if anyone has experience trying to play poker on a Mac they could give me some suggestions.

i.e. Do programs like Virtual PC work fine for running poker clients (like party poker)?
Can you run Poker Tracker, PlayerView, etc?
Are there any plans in the work for PartyPoker and those folks to just start putting out a Mac version of their software?

Is there anything else I'm forgetting to ask or should ask? Am I insane to think I can play poker on a Mac?

I think that's about it. Thanks guys.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Computer Question (Mac vs. PC)

I know several people who play the online sites using Virtual PC without any problems. Do they still make the Titanium Powerbooks? I have a friend who plays online with one, but I don't think she plays more than a couple of tables at a time. Virtual PC, with whatever Winows OS you install, shouldn't have any trouble running Poker Tracker.

I don't think there will be any Mac poker clients in the near future. Mac OSX is Unix based. When Windows has a good Unix OS, I think we'll see more clients that will run on Macs and Linux, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

If you get a Powerbook and want it to drive extra monitors, make sure it's equiped to do so. I don't know if they all come with extra video cards, etc.