Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 12:00 AM

Default let\'s discuss the psychology behind this idiot evangelical spammer...

I'm sure that everyone's notices the spam that 'bluewater' and his aliases have been subjecting the boards to over the last couple of days, and i am wondering what kind of bizzare rationalization he's using to justify his actions. my speculations and observations are:

A: he believes that his purpose trumps all other purposes and beliefs to such a degree that it frees him to use immoral tactics to promote his agenda,

B: perhaps he's just a... well, moron, and can't see that what he's doing is not very christian.

C: he's trying to convert a bunch of gamblers

D: he has no concept of 'EV'- that is, he can't see that acting like a bigoted ass is probably more likely to keep people from becoming christian than it is to convert them

E: maybe he's some poor kid whose sunday brainwashing got the better of him...

F: obviously, mat sklansky hasn't figured out how to block this guy from registering new accounts.

thoughts? I think 'A', at least, is definitly the case...
Old 05-11-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: let\'s discuss the psychology behind this idiot evangelical spammer

This calls for a poll. However, I won't make one, because SackUp might call me a polltard. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Re: let\'s discuss the psychology behind this idiot evangelical spammer...

He's compulsive. Probably motivated by anger over a childhood trauma.

He's probably a moron.

I'd say he's closer to 'E' than 'A' but he's experienced something more traumatic and is fanatically religious as a coping mechanism. Probably had an alcoholic mother, possibly with a gambling problem. Dad split early on.

He probably looks here in anger and disgust and posts the spam spitefully, it most likely consumes him.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: let\'s discuss the psychology behind this idiot evangelical spammer...

Probably just trying to get the pages he links to elevated in its google ranking by having lots of other pages link to it. What better way to increase the number of pages that link to your pages than to create your own (by posting to message boards).

I run a very small message board, and I was getting a lot of drive-by spam posting like this. I modded the software such that unregistered users and new users couldn't include links in their messages (they'd just be automagically deleted from the post). Funny, after that, all the drive bys stopped.

In any case, this whole thing seems terribly cynical to me, especially if my hypothesis is correct. Using forum spamming to boost the google rank of a religious web site?

The world can really suck sometime, and the internet doubly so.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:02 AM

I doubt that he reads the replies but I posted a letting him know that I felt he was damaging his witness by spamming message boards.

I think felson and a few others have done Christianity proud and held their own quite well during the frequent discussions regarding religion. Then a retard like this guy comes along thinking that because He serves a higher purpose, the end justifies the means. Nothing could be further from the teaching of Christ. Christ taught us that the means is every bit and maybe more important than the end.

You get guys like Jim Bakker, putting on a good show, getting rich and then doing youngs boys when no one is looking. Classic example of justifying your actions because you are supposedly serving a higher purpose.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:11 AM

quite frankly, as someone who is knowledgable in the christian faith, i cannot say whether or not i think god would approve of spamming in this sense. its a gray area, and when you have someone who is motivated enough to preach his beliefs and believes that what he is doing is in the will of god, there is practically no stopping him.

eventually, of course, he will give up... hopefully.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:05 AM

I think it's hilarious. It just tickles me to see how persistent he is.

My answer is definitely B. He's not the sharpest one and hasn't put 2 and 2 together to see that his actions are unchristian.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:09 AM

While it's true that God calls us to be 'evangelical' to some extent, I think God would like us to devote our effort to more practical means, and more worthwhile testifying.

If he posts that once or 1000 times, it will 'convert' the same (or dang near) number of people...namely zero (or real close to it). In fact, the posting of it could produce resentment, and have a backlash effect.

Because of this, I do not think God wants this sort of spamming. Geez, read that sentence, and it's almost impossible to believe I'm serious. But I am. I think God appreciates the effort, but would want it to be focused more intelligently.

My two pennies.

Josh
Old 05-11-2005, 02:50 AM

I think God is laughing at the man's belief that God cares, and for that reason God wants him to continue his silly projects. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2005, 03:55 AM

I think that the answer is 'G' - he is a troll who thinks its funny to spam about religion as that is a topic that has been thouroughly hashed out already on this forum.

I dont think he a actually cares about religion