Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 12:05 PM

Default fold turn or call down?

opponent is 36/30/2.7
he had a wtsd of 35% and a w$asd of 50%

I didn't know if I should call down on the turn or just fold..
I have a pretty low wtsd (about 33%, although after just 6600 hands) and I though this might be one of those situations where I should call down instaid of folding..

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.70 BB
Old 05-06-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: fold turn or call down?

This is a spot where PT reads just aren't enough. All we know is that he's aggressive, not how he is aggressive. Not to mention being in the dark as to how many hands those numbers are over.

I would fold the turn. This flop is fairly drawless, the turn is an absolute brick, and unless he's nutso or overplays MP (which we can't really know from the PT numbers), he's got to be scared of you holding an A.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:21 PM

I would just call down from the flop onward against an aggressive opponent. This saves you the most when you're behind, ensures you see a showdown, and keeps him in if he has a worse hand. The way you played it, you should fold to his 3bet unless he's incredibly aggro.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:23 PM

how many hands you got on this cat? if its a decent amount then i can see calling down all the way/betting if checked to, as he seems to be very aggro. i dont understand your flop raise, just doesnt seem to serve much purpose.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:34 PM

What are you trying to accomplish with your flop raise?
Old 05-06-2005, 12:57 PM

I think I want to know where my hand stands/ maybe make him slow down so I can maybe get a free showdown.. he could have raised preflop with alot of hands that I am ahead of. He could have folded the flop if he has a hand that missed the flop.. this where my thinking. On the turn I paused for about 10 sek to think about calling down or fold.. I though of my 33% WTSD and though this might be the place to pump it up, but it seems this was not such a case.

what's your line and thinking?
Old 05-06-2005, 01:01 PM

Your postflop line doesn't make sense to me.

I think just calling down is better. Look, he is never folding an ace, so why not lose the minimum against his ace when he does have one, and let him keep bluffing at you or firing away with 66 or whatever when you have him beat. You aren't really worried about free cards, the only thing would be like a lone king hitting a 3 outer.

What was the purpose of the flop raise? If you wanted information, you got it. Yet you still called him down. And frankly an opponent with those numbers may not need an ace to 3-bet you.

I think calling down postflop, and betting if checked to is best.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:10 PM

Raising the flop is pointless.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:23 PM

thanks for the comments everyone!
it's either call down or fold on turn I guess.
folding the flop is weak tight right?
Old 05-06-2005, 03:50 PM

If he would fold the flop if he missed, then it's better to call the flop bet and hope he keeps pushing.

You say you raised to try to see where you stand. He told you. You ignored it.

WiteKnite