Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Deep stacks....out of position

In a deep stack game, >100BBs, you have KK in the SB in a 4 handed game. Villian is a major LAG who raises a large variety of hands to about 5 BBs. He will call reraises with pocket pairs and suited connectors to try to bust you. He makes his standard raise on the button.

My question is, when out of position against a player of this type, isan't it better to just flat call with the premium pocket pair to not give away the strength of your hand? I say this because he will call with anything and I'm giving him free information by reraising him.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Deep stacks....out of position

It depends...will he view your PF raise as a re-steal? How has he dealt with people playing back at him?

I would re-raise PF a majority of the time. I want to make him pay for his position. Yes, he knows you have a good hand, but not necessarily KK. You could/should be capable of making this same move against this type of player with far lesser starting hands, including smaller PP, big aces, and the occasional SC.

-T
Old 05-06-2005, 05:00 PM

It really depends how deep you are. If you feel you can't outplay him postflop, then reraise (overbet) so that you're giving him about 6-1 or so implied odds. Let him call, then go to the felt... Don't worry about pot size here, just the stack size matters if you can't play out of position against this guy postflop w/ one pair. What your doing is relying on your preflop edge. Yes, you're telling him what you have (unless you start overbet reraising w/ other cards), but it doesn't matter if you don't give him odds to outdraw you.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:25 PM

just reraise a bunch of different hands. yay.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:36 PM

You could beat him, even if you turned your cards face up. You just have to reraise large enough. If you reraised half his stack, he could profitably do anything but fold.

The real problem here is that you're probably not reraising enough hands, or you're not playing big Aces well post flop.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is, when out of position against a player of this type, isan't it better to just flat call with the premium pocket pair to not give away the strength of your hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
I say this because he will call with anything and I'm giving him free information by reraising him.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not free if he has to call a re-raise. And if he'll call the re-raise with anything then not re-raising is a horrible, horrible, horrible play.