Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 09:28 PM

Default AA v. Minraise on Lowish Flop

Party Poker $400 Buy In 6-Max
Hero new to game has about $425
Villian has about $480

No reads.

Hero is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

1 fold
Hero Open raises to $16
Villian Calls
Folds around

Flop (~$35): 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero: Bets $35
Villian: Raises to $70

Was completely unsure of his holding at this point. Could have anything from a set to a straight draw (77, 67s, 78s) or 99-QQ.

Hero: Calls $35. - Likely a truly poor decision, probably should have raised to further define his hand. Probably stems from having this same play put on me by a set twice yesterday.

Turn (~$170): [5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Queen isn't likely to have helped him unless he had QQ.

Hero... ?

Commentary on flop also very welcome.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: AA v. Minraise on Lowish Flop

If it helps at all, villian likely thinks that I am on a continuation bet, as I had bet the flop and taken it down without contention on the only other hands he had watched me play.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:00 PM

I've made several posts on this forum with very little response, and I'd like to figure out why, so I can get more response in the future.

Possible reasons:
a) Newb poster, nobody cares what I have to say
b) Uninteresting Hands (I swear I thought the above was an interesting hand)
c) Poor explanation of my thought process throughout the hand.
d) Just being impatient
e) ?

If any of these are the case, or if there is some other reason that I don't know, I would be most appreciative if somebody would let me know, and do what I can to make future posts (and there will be future posts) more discussion generating.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:34 AM

I'm new on the forum also. Sometimes it takes a day or two to get an answer.
For me this is a tough question, so I might be tempted not to say anything because I'm not sure if there is a "right" answer. The more I think about hands like this the more I understand that being able to pick up some kind of a read on an opponent (easier live) or knowing the opponents betting patterns is what can really sway the decision. Otherwise you have to base the decision of what the average person at this game and limit will hold when they raise you. You get nailed by a set twice in a row and the third time the situation comes up, you say - gee I've got to do something different. But maybe you just got unlucky twice in a row. I find top pair, overpair and two pair the hardest hands to play when there's strong betting. It makes me search for something else - some other piece of information to help me with the decision.
I'd say reraise subtantially on the flop. There's a good chance he's raising the $70 with an overpair that your aces beat. The turn is an even tougher decision than the flop. If you check and he bets it may just be because you only called his raise and then checked the turn - showing weakness. I had a two pair hand similar to this tonight. The problem with just calling the $70 on the flop is that a lot of cards can scare you on the turn. K,Q,J - did he make trips ? 4, 7 - did he make a straight ? Then you have to act first on the turn. I suppose I'd rather have him scared about what I have - a reraise on the flop might do that. I know its unlikely I'm going to improve with AA, so if he's hoping to improve, might as well put the pressure on.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:52 AM

one big problem:

[ QUOTE ]
No reads.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-05-2005, 02:53 AM

100% read dependent situation
that's why nobody's helping; there's nothing to help
Old 05-05-2005, 09:55 AM

No one wants to take a stab at this so I will. Having no reads is a problem, so you need to use your betting to get information. Just calling on the flop is what put you in this situation. It was a one dimensional play in that you're putting yourself to a decision on the turn rather than your opponent.

You bet the pot, he minraised you back. What hands do that?

Well, a set might to tie you to the pot. An over pair might to test the waters in order to find out if yours was a continuation bet. 78s might for value/free card on the turn. So I like calling on the flop only if you are going to treat this hand like you're ahead, putting in a signicant bet on the turn so long as a terrible card doesn't come off (a 4 straight and maybe you give up on this hand).

The Q comes off. Great card for you. Only one over pair that is now beating you and if he had QQ, well, too bad. If he's got suited connectors and had a pair and a draw, now is the time to punish him.

I would bet the pot. If he comes back over the top...I have to call here with no reads.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:19 AM

The range of hands for your opponent here is giant.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:05 PM

I think this is a clear push or fold instance if he has a set /two pair/ or a straight "C'est la vive." Any significant bet on the turn to try to price out the draws commits you to the pot and if his has two pair or a set of course he's not folding. I don't normally play weak/tight but you are either way ahead or way behind on the flop and I think folding isn't a bad option. The other posters are right. A read would really make this hand easier. Does he call your raises with little cards? An overbet on the flop (maybe double the pot) might also make your decision easier because he'll be less likely to play back with a mediocre hand.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:22 PM

stop and go the turn, fold to a raise

if he calls, i'm leaning towards a check/fold line, as he'll probably move in on the river if he's got a hand, and check behind on a missed draw. usually people will not bluff the river all in on a missed straight draw...but that's just in my experience.