Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 09:33 PM

Default An irritating bubble situation

Down to 4 at a $10 Party SNG, blinds are 100/200, 2 stacks of around 3000 to my left, small stack at 600 on my right, I'm around 1500. I don't have any particular reads on anybody but the two big stacks seem decent and can get aggressive. The problem is that the two big stacks are giving the short stack a free pass most of the time when he's BB, and I'm not sure whether I should try to wait it out and see if they start playing at him (or if he gets desperate), or if I should start trying to steal off of them, or something else I'm missing.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Re: An irritating bubble situation

I hate to beg, but....
Old 05-05-2005, 04:24 PM

Just play smart....when you think it's +EV to push, PUSH. when its not, don't...

If you pick out specific hands people are more likely to give you better input on your course of action.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:38 PM

I'll look through the HH later to see if I see anything that jumps out at me. It was really more of a philosophical question; should I start pushing with anything against the big stacks to try and get up to their level (or at least maintain my current stack) or should I try to wait out the small stack/wait for a big hand. I know I was definitely playing at least a little bit scared (and maybe more) but I was wondering what others had to say about spots where it doesn't seem like you can count on the small stack being forced into calling with any random hand.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:46 PM

Its really unique to each situation. If your in the BB you should be able to get HU with the shortstack if its folded to you. Otherwise I don't see your problem. They're folding when the SS is the BB and your UTG?
If thats the case it seems like thats the spot your looking to push in. Wait for a hand your comfortable pushing with UTG and try to steal the blind before they can fold it to the shortstack.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:48 PM

If there's one thing I've learned, is that unless a small stack is seriously in danger of blinding out, you need to be pushing on the bubble as normal. In this case, if small stack were to double off of one of the biggies, you're going to be in trouble. And trust me, small stacks double off of big stacks on the bubble a LOT. A lot of these bad players that got lucky enough to have a big stack have no idea how to hold onto their chips. They'll see a small stack go all-in, jump on the opportunity to bust them with 74o, and *whoops* now you're forced to make moves.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:13 PM

Neither big stack wants to lose half his chips, *You* have to get aggressive before the blinds get any bigger and you begin to lose what fold equity you still have. I'd push first in with any 2 cards >8, any A, any K, any pair.