Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Please critique my play

Hi folks,
I am trying to analyse my game at some core levels, so below I am posting a few simple hand examples that I would like comments on. They are not big or interesting hands, just little examples of my play to try and find out if I am going about things the right way. All feedback much appreciated...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

SB ($93.95)
BB ($25.75)
Hero ($51.15)
MP ($28.9)
Button ($6.2)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $3.50.

Flop: ($8.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: $23.50

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

MP ($37.55)
CO ($12.5)
Hero ($72.95)
SB ($61.7)
BB ($38.5)
UTG ($14.25)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1.50, UTG folds, MP calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2, BB folds.

Turn: ($10.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

River: ($16.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

Final Pot: $26.75

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

CO ($39.55)
Button ($13)
Hero ($60.5)
BB ($63.2)
UTG ($46)
MP ($16.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $1</font>, CO calls $1, Button folds, Hero calls $1, BB calls $0.50, UTG calls $0.50.

Turn: ($8) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.5</font>, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $5.50, MP folds, CO folds.

River: ($21) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: $21

-Cian
Old 05-05-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Please critique my play

Hand 1: Any reads would be helpful here. What kind of hand would SB bet out with here? If he had a 5, would he keep betting if you flatcalled (if so, why not call and let him bet into you?) Would he fold a weak ace to a flop raise? Do your flop raises generally signify big hands? I think a raise might be a decent play here, depending on what you think of the villain, but I don't think I like a minraise--if you are gonna raise it, I would raise it to $20 or so.

Hand 2: This one seems quite read dependent. What do you think villain has that you beat here? His bets all look weak, but any PP beats you here, as does AK. About all you beat is something like KJ or KT--would he call a raise with these? Would he fire all 3 barrels with nothing?

Hand 3: There is a decent chance you are ahead on the river, I think--AK (and AQ, to a lesser degree) seem unlikely since no pf raise, although villain is UTG so he may have limped with AQ. KQ is a definite possibility. What is your read on UTG? His turn bet is awfully weird, and it sure seems like he is trying to price himself in for some draw (unless he is the kind of guy that would slowplay his 'monster' 2 pair). Overall look decent I guess, not sure whether or not rive should be value bet...

If anyone thinks I am way off here, let me know.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Please critique my play

I'll give it a go myself, while trying to be as objective as possible.

Hand 1. Calling 3.50 pf heads up may be a little loose in hoping to hit the set. Although I did have position, but considering the size of the bet, it looks like he has a pocket pair in weaker than QQ. Therefore even if I hit my set and there are high cards on the flop aswell, I stand to get a small amount of action.

The flop raise was fine I think. SB made a weak definition bet, testing me for the Ace, I caught wind of this and while I didnt want to risk too much at this point on this read, I hoped a min raise would be enough to scare his lower pp off.

Hand 2. This is a case of good read, bad follow through. Looking back I really dont know why I didnt re-raise the weak flop bet, or the turn bet for that matter. Usually I wouldnt be this passive at all. As it turned out, villain had A9, and caught his 9 on the river.

Hand 3. Preflop, not raising is fine out of position. On the flop checking/calling is ok, the likelihood is I will get paid off if I hit the ten, and I also have the Ace outs. Turn action is ok aswell..UTG and MP make very weak bets, and deserve to be tested. Slightly worrying that one of them calls the re-raise, so I am not sure what the best thing to do on the river is. I suppose a check/call/fold if too strongly bet into is in order.

Thoughts?