Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Correct to slowplay?

Was wondering what you guys make of my play in this hand. I rarely slowplay but have recently been looking for opportunities when it seems appropriate to add more variety to my play. This seemed like a good situation with a small pot, the flop not offering any real draws and the pre-flop raiser almost certain to bet the flop. Agree?

What about the turn and river? Should I give MP2 some credit for having either TT or 66 or just pile the bets in knowing that he most likely has a T? If I should slow down, at what point?

Sorry, no real reads on MP2 as it was only his 3rd hand. If it helps, in his first hand he posted from CO, raised first in with A9o and bet out each street with a 95875 board despite being check-raised on both the flop & turn.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

River: (14.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22.70 BB

Cheers,
Richard
Old 05-05-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Correct to slowplay?

I wouldn't slow play here out of position. After the flop, I'm firing and I won't stop firing. If he has 66 or TT, so be it.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:57 AM

I would just go ahead and bet the flop. The pot isn't *that* small and you have a pre-flop aggressor who is willing to give action. That said, I don't think walking this hand is terrible; it's a reasonable alternative line.

The T was your money card, and you should bet/3-bet both expensive streets. If he has TT, that sucks but you're just going to have to lose a ton of money. Expect to be shown AT much more often.

Edit: I missed that you were OOP on the flop. I think this argues much more strongly for leading off since you can hopefully trap the field.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:01 AM

Just bet the flop yourself here OOP.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the comments.

Now I think about it the turn check was absolutely horrid. I would have looked very stupid indeed (instead of just being very stupid [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]) if it had been checked round.

Must admit that I hadn't given any thought to position in this matter. To be honest I'm still having a lot of trouble making use of position in general. Even thinking about it now I'm not really sure why being OOP makes it better to bet out. About the only thing I can think of is that there is a decent chance that CO will raise. But OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if MP2 would fold without at least a pair knowing that there could be a reraise behind him. If I knew that MP2 would call then it would definitely make sense to bet out, but without that read it seems that I'm risking losing at least as many bets as I could gain by check-calling.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:01 AM

anyone else here think this should've been folded preflop???

cold calling a raise with a low pair and only 2 other opponents is not getting good odds to flop a set
Old 05-05-2005, 10:02 AM

Without reading the post, I believe the answer is no.

Edit: Upon reading the post, the answer is definitely no. Bet the flop. And whoever considered folding this preflop, this is the easiest blind defense hand in the world. You have to call this preflop raise.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:06 AM

The CO raising is the perfect reason to bet out.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And whoever considered folding this preflop, this is the easiest blind defense hand in the world. You have to call this preflop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't realize he was in the BB. you are right.. he has to call this raise... but if he wasn't in the BB i would fold to a raise with only 2 opponents
Old 05-05-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
didn't realize he was in the BB. you are right.. he has to call this raise... but if he wasn't in the BB i would fold to a raise with only 2 opponents

[/ QUOTE ]
Glad to know I did something right [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Don't worry, I would definitely have folded if not in the BB.

Thanks again for the comments guys. I'll try and remember to bet out next time.

btw, if anyone was wondering, MP2 flipped over 66. Second time that session I flopped a set and had someone else flop a higher one [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]