Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Strategy Question - Smaller Initial Stack Size Relative to Blinds

I have played a lot of online tourneys, but I have only played 8 live poker tourneys, ranging from 100 - 500 players, with buy-ins of $100 to $1000. 3 were rebuys where chips were plentiful, and 5 were tourneys where you started with stacks at least 110X the BB, if not 150X.

I have had good success - a 1st and 2nd in the 3 rebuys, and a 6th and 10th in the 4 fixed stack events (where I have played 2 on satellite wins).

I have found that early in live fixed stack tourneys (and to a somewhat lesser degree in the first hour after the rebuy period), most players play very tightly. My style has been to try and see a lot of cheap flops early in the tourney, and play aggressively postflop. After I show down a couple of funky winners, I have the table guessing. Playing this way, I have been fortunate to build some big stacks relatively early.

Now I am faced with a different challenge in New Orleans for the WSOP circuit events coming up, and would like some 2+2 input.

I plan to play in the $300, $500 and $1000 events (and maybe a satellite into the $10K).

The $300 & 500 events start you with 1500 chips and 25-25 blinds, and the $1000 event starts with 2000 chips and 25-25 blinds. Levels go up every 40-50 minutes, depending on the buy-in.

So, the starting stacks are going to be about half the size of the other tourneys (compared to the initial big blind) I have played in.

How should this impact my strategy early in the tourneys, if at all?

My sense is that the extra-tight play of many live players becomes more correct the shorter the stacks. So, I was thinking of tightening up myself.

But I asked a friend about it, and his position was that I should play the same way, knowing that my style is riskier the shorter the stacks, but that I have to accumulate chips in order to give myself a chance to win.

I have the feeling my friend is right, but I wanted to get your ideas.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Strategy Question - Smaller Initial Stack Size Relative to Blinds

Your results speak for themselves, very nice!!

Play your game, it obviously works.

Your tablemates will let you know the best way to take their chips.

With the smaller starting stack you may want to muck 45o UTG more often in order to not deplete your stack early, but if you draw tight/passive table maybe you should raise it. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Good Luck,
Woodguy