Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 04:14 PM

Default hard drive reformat question

Hi,

Recently I've been plagued with an enormous amount of viruses on my computer, tried using all the popular virus removal software program but to no avail.

Thus, I am going to have to resort to reformatting my hard drive. Only problem is I have no clue how to do it.

Wondering if anyone here can give me step by step instruction on how to do it.

*plz only post if you know what you are doing!! I dont want to mess up my computer!!
Old 05-02-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: hard drive reformat question

formatting the drive is the BASIS of messing up your computer. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If I have a virii machine I use the "Hitachi drive fitness test" to "low level format" the drive. Some virii can live in sections of the disk that a fdisk/format won't kill. Once you do that you can just pop in the XP CDROM and it will format the drive in the setup.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:39 PM

*disclamer:me=not responsible*
Formating is easy.

Right click on C: format.
Go to ms-dos. command : format c:

Ressetting it up is harder.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Recently I've been plagued with an enormous amount of viruses on my computer, tried using all the popular virus removal software program but to no avail.

Thus, I am going to have to resort to reformatting my hard drive. Only problem is I have no clue how to do it.

*plz only post if you know what you are doing!! I dont want to mess up my computer!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is my suggestion:

Take it to a local tech guy. Where I live they have PC Recycle stores and the manager there cleaned my machine, formatted the hard drive into two partitions, and loaded all of the lastest service packs, Windows updates and misc. Cost--$59.

And for $25 more I strongly suggest you get a McAfee anti-virus while you're at it--good for one year and then the upgrade is $20 I believe. I was using Avast, but I really like the McAfee.

It's well worth the price and piece of mind.

By the way I installed a new motherboard, chip, fan and ram, but I wasn't sure how to f-disk and reformatt, so I had the tech guy do it.

I'm sure I saved myself a lot of grief.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:42 PM

first two links should explain it all
Old 05-02-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is my suggestion:

Take it to a local tech guy. Where I live they have PC Recycle stores and the manager there cleaned my machine, formatted the hard drive into two partitions, and loaded all of the lastest service packs, Windows updates and misc. Cost--$59.

And for $25 more I strongly suggest you get a McAfee anti-virus while you're at it--good for one year and then the upgrade is $20 I believe. I was using Avast, but I really like the McAfee.

It's well worth the price and piece of mind.

By the way I installed a new motherboard, chip, fan and ram, but I wasn't sure how to f-disk and reformatt, so I had the tech guy do it.

I'm sure I saved myself a lot of grief.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you spent yourself $59.

Reformatting a hard drive is a bit time consuming but is fairly easy to do and could easily be done during a free afternoon while doing laundry, etc.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:17 AM

<No, you spent yourself $59.

Reformatting a hard drive is a bit time consuming but is fairly easy to do and could easily be done during a free afternoon while doing laundry, etc. <

Wrong. I was paid $110. What is your time worth? I value my time at $50 an hour. The two hours it takes to learn it (doing the research, and assuming I don't make any mistakes) and the hour to go about it is $150. I saved (made) $90 having someone else do it, with the peace of mind knowing it was done right the first time.