Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Micro-limit HU hand

I'm going off the top of my head for this one, but the important stuff is here.

Villian is in BB, and he is a typical micro-limit player, playing to many hands and such.

I raise from CO with K,9 off, folded around to BB who calls.
Flop: KQx suits unimportant.
He checks, I raise, he check-raises, I call.
Turn: 6 or some other low card.
He bets, I call.
River: 2
He bets, I call.

I was lost during this one, and am lost during most hands similar to this, when played back at like this.

So I'd like to know where I could have gone about this hand differently, or whether that was the only way to play it.

Thanks,

Billy
Old 05-03-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Micro-limit HU hand

Against most micro players this is about right. By checkraising he is representing a better hand but it certainly doesn't have to be true. The best thing to do is simply call him down and show your hand. If he checks then bet behind him. This passive strategy guarentees that you get a showdown for your decent hand. It also ensures that win or lose one bet goes in on each street. He doesn't get to put extra action in with his big hands while escaping or taking free cards when he is bluffing or pushing a weak hand.

If I thought this player was likely to checkraise with a small pair or a draw I would be inclined to punish him with a raise on the flop or turn. But most micro players don't do that sort of thing very often. The answer could be very different in a higher game where late posiiton steal raises aren't taken seriously and BB often plays back at you with any two cards he happens to have. In that case TPFK is a monster and a much more aggressive stance would be in order.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Micro-limit HU hand

[ QUOTE ]
Against most micro players this is about right. By checkraising he is representing a better hand but it certainly doesn't have to be true. The best thing to do is simply call him down and show your hand. If he checks then bet behind him. This passive strategy guarentees that you get a showdown for your decent hand. It also ensures that win or lose one bet goes in on each street. He doesn't get to put extra action in with his big hands while escaping or taking free cards when he is bluffing or pushing a weak hand.

If I thought this player was likely to checkraise with a small pair or a draw I would be inclined to punish him with a raise on the flop or turn. But most micro players don't do that sort of thing very often. The answer could be very different in a higher game where late posiiton steal raises aren't taken seriously and BB often plays back at you with any two cards he happens to have. In that case TPFK is a monster and a much more aggressive stance would be in order.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, that was very helpful.

Billy