Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Damn it!!!

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

CO ($498)
Button ($1078)
SB ($1905)
Hero ($620.75)
UTG ($239.25)
MP ($1027)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
UTG calls $10, MP calls $10, CO calls $10, Button calls $10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($55) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $20</font>, Button folds, Hero calls $20, UTG calls $20, MP calls $20.

Turn: ($135) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, CO checks.

River: ($135) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $133</font>, UTG All In, MP calls $209.25, CO folds, Hero calls $76.25.

Final Pot: $553.50

I couldn't reraise because the short stack UTG went all in was not a full reraise. Check the river the next time so a 6 can bet?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Damn it!!!

Never never never never never never never check this river. With maybe a few more nevers.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:55 PM

Against 2 opponents, I'd probably check-call the river, allowing a worse 6 to bet into me first. Or make a smaller bet and hope that a one pair hand would call. But I wouldn't lead out with a pot-sized bet holding your hand.

Problem is that JT is a commonly played hand. And in this case, one player raised and another called after your pot-sized bet on the river. Obviously you have to call considering the pot is offering you roughly 7:1. But if MP was able to push/raise behind UTG's all-in, do you still think your ten-high straight is good?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:56 PM

go-allin. or bet half of short stack
Old 05-02-2005, 09:01 PM

You want him to check/call the river with the second nuts, with a 4-straight on the board? I guess with a few opponents (CO hasn't folded yet) it is likely one or more has a 6 so I guess the CR is a good play, but check/call?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:23 PM

My point is, against 2 opponents, I wouldn't expect a worse hand to call my pot-sized river bet, so why not let them bet first? I have no problem leading out with a smaller bet (prob. half-pot) and hope to be called by a TP-type hand or min-raised by a "6". The catch here is that, although hero has the second nut straight, he is losing to JT -- a commonly played connector.

Let's change things around a little bit. If hero had Q-8 and the board was 10-9-7-x-J, should he push on the river? What worse hands would you expect to call his all-in if the whole hand was played passively until 5th street? And do you think hero should call if a bigger stack pushed? Catching that gutshot may feel great, but it only gives you a second-best hand against a commonly played KQ. That's why I wouldn't play this hand too hard from OOP against 2+ opponents.