Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 07:05 PM

Default standard JJ play?

want to make a poll: fold pocket pairs to overcards? cap this preflop?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

River: (10 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 05-02-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: standard JJ play?

Capping with JJ is player dependent. Against an unknown or donk I would cap. I play it the same except I fold the river. There's no way he's employing the stop n go into 2 opponents one being an aggressive bettor without at least a King. He probably slowplayed KK, huh? I just don't think your JJ is good here 1/8 of the time.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Capping with JJ is player dependent. Against an unknown or donk I would cap. I play it the same except I fold the river. There's no way he's employing the stop n go into 2 opponents one being an aggressive bettor without at least a King. He probably slowplayed KK, huh? I just don't think your JJ is good here 1/8 of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

He only needs to be good 1/10 of the time, which I think is a marginal call, but that combined with the fact your letting the table know you're capable of folding to one single river bet, I lean more towards calling.

EDIT - For PF, in most cases I'm capping, unless we're facing a rock.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:16 PM

(In the dark)

I like the way you played it.

I would consider capping this PF to get rid of MP1 though. I don't know if this is a correct way of thinking of it, but I would like to be heads up with the pocket J's.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:17 PM

Oops. I mistakenly read the BB at river as being the final pot and I subtracted 2. But even at 1/11 it's probably not good.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:11 PM

Funny you should bring up JJ, I've been thinking about this hand all day:

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (20.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (12.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, UTG folds.

River: (14.20 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 15.20 BB

I almost never cap pf. While I've never thought it out until now (I don't play many hands, so it doesn't come up often) I think my real time reasoning says that if I have AA or KK then I don't want you to know it, so I'll raise to build the pot, but not cap to try to hide the premium holding and if it's less than premium, then I don't want to give more to the AA that three bet or whatever. Anyway, this was the first high pair I'd seen in a while so I pumped it and pumped it. I got a good flop and it worked. Capping preflop and betting every street must have looked like AA. I doubt I'll play it like this every time (at nickel/dime it's hard to get that many pf callers to fold), but it worked out here. Now I'll go read the other posts and see what everyone else said about capping.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:14 AM

JJ's PF (Against random hands though) is 77.5% heads up to win and 61.2% against two opponents. With a profit rate needing to be at 50% and 33.3% to break even. You would rather have it be against 2 opponents rather than trying to isolate to get one. More money in the long run.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:42 AM

This is most likely QQ, but possibly TT. I'd call... and I might even raise the river to try and push him off QQ. Plus you might get rid of the guy who's tagging along. I believe the relevant section of the bible is called "When you do not want overcalls."