Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Dealer Error!

The last tourney I played in, 3 players were in after the flop and I had the number of the beast.

I raised, and the dealer showed the turn by mistake. He just burns the card and the next player goes all in, another calls, and I call.

It turns out one player beat my 3 sixes with a flush that wouldn't have come up if the dealer didn't screw up. Damn I was pissed!!!!!!

Anyways, how would you have handled that incident?
Old 04-29-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Dealer Error!

[ QUOTE ]
a flush that wouldn't have come up if the dealer didn't screw up.

[/ QUOTE ]This is absurd. You can complain that the dealer revealed a card that couldn't be in anyone's hand and also couldn't come on the turn or river (and therefore gave information). However, it's bonkers to blame him for your sixes getting cracked.

The deck was shuffled before the hand; seeing a random card doesn't mean the cards afterwards aren't random. Sorry you got beat.
-Sam
Old 04-29-2005, 03:34 AM

I think the right way to handle that was to put the exposed card back into the deck, shuffle those cards and start the rest of the deal from there.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:38 AM

That is correct.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:43 AM

Good call...why didn't I think of that?
Old 04-29-2005, 03:34 PM

Not quite. You pull the premature burn and exposed card and set them to the side, then complete the preturn action. You then burn and turn what would have been the river card for the turn. Now you take the two premature cards and place them in the stub and shuffle.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:47 PM

I know this is correct according to Robert's Rules. But don't you think it's kind of wacky? I prefer a rule that states if you deal board cards early (or too many), you reshuffle and continue play. If you forget to burn, the first exposed card becomes the burn.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the rule, which you have posted correctly. The rule is different for the flop and for the river, if I recall. It all seems a bit arbitrary, but who the f am I?

-ptmusic
Old 04-29-2005, 10:53 PM

Well, the immature burn card isn't shuffled back in, only the immature turn. With the method in Robert's Rules, this way at the very least the river card is the same as it would've been without the error. Also, the burn remains the burn for the river which is revealed with no burn.

While I agree "random is random", poker players by nature are the 'that would've been my card' type. After all, if it's random we're after, we could do away with this whole burn card nonsense and the dealer could pull random cards from the center of the deck...