Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 11:20 AM

Default A Book of Tips based on playing experience

As a NLHE tournament player,both B&M and online, I wonder if
some top pro will ever write a short book of broad tips for players based on their years of experience. HOH touched on this but I am talking about something like this:

"I(expert) have found that if you are up against a raise from a tight player at the turn who has called medium bets pre and post flop, you should muck your JJ."

Such a book would have several situational charts.

Wouldn't you be interested in such a book?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: A Book of Tips based on playing experience

No.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:26 PM

You can't describe complex postflop situations by charts. Preflop charts may be good for beginners, but you can't use training wheels for postflop play.

olavfo
Old 04-28-2005, 12:45 PM

I really don't see why charts can't work for post-flop play.
Now don't get me wrong; No post-flop chart would have the certainty in it of folding 72o and playing AA pre-flop. But
based on both mathematical analysis and the practical experience of an top pro, I don't see why post-flop charts could not be used as a guide.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:32 PM

Because no chart will tell you to call an allin with a board of face cards with your 33 when you should.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But based on both mathematical analysis and the practical experience of an top pro, I don't see why post-flop charts could not be used as a guide.

[/ QUOTE ]
If poker could be reduced to a series of charts, computers wouldn't currently suck at it so bad.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't see why charts can't work for post-flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]
No offense, but if you can't see this, then your understanding of poker could use a lot of improvement.

Just think about all the parameters you take into consideration when deciding what to do. Here are some of them:
<ul type="square">[*]Your cards[*]The size of the pot[*]The number of opponents[*]Your position[*]The preflop action[*]What you think your opponents have[*]What you think they think you have[*]What you think they think you think they have[*]The style of each opponent (loose/tight, passive/aggresssive) as perceived by you[*]Your style, as perceived by your opponents.[*]Are any of your opponents on tilt?[/list]etc, etc, etc.

All these factors, and many more, have to be considered when you decide your course of action.

The concepts of charts is based on the assumption that roughly similar situations can be treated in a similar manner. In postflop play, this assumption is not valid. Change a parameter ever so slightly, and you will often end up with a different course of action.

olavfo