Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Getting frisky with posted junk

Villain is 38/17 over a small sample but seems pretty good to me from what I've seen.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

UTG ($732)
Hero ($1081)
Button ($1635.5)
SB ($1137.09)
BB ($1559.82)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $15.
UTG calls $10, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($40) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $38</font>, BB calls $38, UTG folds.

Turn: ($116) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $90</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $250</font>, Hero calls $160.

River: ($616) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $778 (All-In)...</font>

Final Pot: $2172
Old 05-13-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Getting frisky with posted junk

Hi Yeti,

I can't be too critical here, as I'm as guilty as anyone of stabbing at rag flops w/ garbage that whiffed trying to represent garbage that hit, and then continuing w/ an aggro line. I also find, however, that I tend to get called down pretty light when I get frisky w/ a posted hand, because people really don't respect you too much if you're tossing around a good portion of your stack on the very first hand you play, b/c they know they're up against a random hand.

That said, what did you put villain on to represent a flush on the river? 45, I'm guessing? Perhaps a flopped set or two pair? Is there any reason he couldn't have Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? Also, if you had a flush draw, would you really fire the turn again after villain called your pot-sized flop bet? This doesn't seem terribly consistent with a flush draw; I think most would check behind on the turn, not wanting to get blown off the hand.

I hope it worked out for you, but I don't like it all that much. If villain did have 45, a flopped set or two pair, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got called.

Great for metagame, though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 02:27 PM

Just a quick couple of points :

1) fsu basically said the same as your first paragraph
2) this wasn't actually my first hand, i think i'd been on the phone and timed out. i do have a very lag image though.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:50 PM

The fact that this is a limped pot the villian could have about anything, including the 4,5. Many would play 4/5 this way. I would fold on the re-raise on the turn. IMO, not worth risking your stack for. Some of this is player dependent though, so maybe you had a read that he would lay down a two pair or maybe even a set.