Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 10:22 AM

Default TPBK facing a check-raise

early in a 100+9. i had just been moved in ~15 hands ago, and villain has not done anything memorable (neither have i).

here was my reasoning behind the call:

AQ likely reraises. QJ likely folds (maybe not if suited). overpairs usually reraise. 22/33 might fold, and KQ might fold also (i would fold these hands).

medium pocket pairs and flush draws will often c/r a-i here, especially b/c there is only one card on the flop that i could have hit. reasonable?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

BB (t925)
UTG (t1070)
UTG+1 (t2450)
MP1 (t965)
MP2 (t2050)
MP3 (t940)
Hero (t755)
Button (t615)
SB (t1250)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t70</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t60, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t160) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t800</font>, Hero calls t565 (All-In).

Turn: (t1645) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1645) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1645
Old 04-25-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: TPBK facing a check-raise

This feels like calling an all-in with 22 preflop to me.

Either you're a little ahead (flush draw with one overcard) or way behind (22/33/KQ/QJ). I don't see many party players folding KQ and a QJ wouldn't surprise me.

Granted, it's a little more complicated than a 22 call PF when you add in the guys that pull this with 77 and the like, but I still think it's a fold.

Later,
Che
Old 04-25-2005, 12:25 PM

with the blind levels that low the SB could easily have called with 22, 33, KQ and maybe even AQ, and an assortment of other pairs. They could have just called hoping to trap you for more money since you raised from CO. He could put you on nothing, and just trying to steal the blinds for that matter.

His CR putting you all in here says that you are beat. This is an easy fold. At this stage of the tournament I would fold two pair to an all in given the PF call. I would not risk my tournament at this stage of the tournament with anything but the nuts.

You are probably a lot better player than I am given your success, so maybe I am too conservative, but to me people do not do this kind of move unless they have a very strong hand.

The only thing that would make me wonder is because he has you covered by about T500 so he can make this move and not be out, so he could have a flush draw here as well, but for you I think the risk is not worth it here.

Congrats on your recent success BTW
Old 04-25-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on your recent success BTW

[/ QUOTE ]

i am *sigh* not schwah.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am *sigh* not schwah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that preclude you from having recent success? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Getting 2-1 on the call you are ahead enough times to make this call correct. (I think), as I agree with your analysis of pp&lt;QQ and flush draws (with and without overs) makes this move as often, if not more often than TPGK.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 04-25-2005, 01:59 PM

I would dump it here, b/c it's early, blinds are low, your stack is still fine w/plenty of time, and it's too EZ for your hand to be beat.

PGA71