Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Standard?
What's the question? Playing any differently would be a mistake. 21 15.79%
I play at least one street differently. 112 84.21%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2005, 10:55 PM

Default basics... what\'s your default play?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks,
Old 05-01-2005, 10:57 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: basics... what\'s your default play?

I bet. this isn't the type of board where someone will peel on the flop to make a ridiculous bluff check raise on the turn. there are no draws. you can safely fold to a raise and lots of the time someone who defends his blind will automatically take one off and will fold on the turn if he doesn't improve. if you get checkraised, oh well, you didnt get to draw to your 3-outer
Old 05-01-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet. this isn't the type of board where someone will peel on the flop to make a ridiculous bluff check raise on the turn. there are no draws. you can safely fold to a raise and lots of the time someone who defends his blind will automatically take one off and will fold on the turn if he doesn't improve. if you get checkraised, oh well, you didnt get to draw to your 3-outer

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, this is rediculously easy in my mind.

Krishan
Old 05-01-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, this is rediculously easy in my mind.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-01-2005, 11:19 PM

I think this question is only interesting if BB calls your mandatory turn bet and then bets a river blank. I probably call with A-high expecting to lose and trying to get a little read on the guy.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:33 PM

this is pretty much what i expected... it's funny how running bad makes you question the most obvious plays.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Is it THAT easy?

Hi sthief09,

I am really concerned about your reply. I like your posts and you obviously know what you are doing but I NEVER see these situations as this "black and white". Is it? If it is, then I am obviously doing too much thinking and need to go back to basics.

Firstly, I do see silly turn CR on this sort of board. It is paired!! The idiots just love to raise when that happens. Of course he will also CR a K or a 5 or a 3 or a PP or a turned gutshot as well.

If the player is one of these aggressive/stupid types then it is not obvious to fold to the turn CR. However, if I check the turn, he would most likely bluff the river. The pot is 3.25BB so I "give him" 6/46 * 4.25 (the pot plus 1 for my river call after he has hit) as a free card but will snap off a bluff 40/46 of the time. That means there is EV in inducing the river bluff rather than forcing him to fold the turn. Sometimes, he will have a K or a PP or a 3 and it is ME who gets the free card rather than folding the turn.

I agree that if the player is a loose/passive who frequently peels one off on the flop then a bet is 100% correct but if the opponent is tricky or aggressive, is not a turn check often the best play in this small pot?

I'd be very interested in views on this. I may have a big hole in my thinking! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Trevor
Old 05-02-2005, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Is it THAT easy?

Your EV calculation requires him to bluff-bet the river every time - this is not typical of most players. If you have a read that is that accurate this can be a good spot to check behind and snap off a bluff - otherwise, many players will indeed peel one off and then fold the turn, so it is our obligation to do the betting so they can do the folding. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 05-02-2005, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Is it THAT easy?

I voted with majority here, but I didn't find it as obvious as most people. For one thing, seems like I get check/raised a lot in these situations, making me fold. And I always worry that I'm folding to turn check/raises too often, making me susceptible to that bluff.

But I guess the answer is simply to pick my spots for folding better.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:58 AM

well i voted check here, there are no str8 draws or flush draws out,he cant have 2 overcards.So im thinking he must have a small pair,even a K or slowpplaying a 5,this is what i usually see on these kind of flops,
also you could get CR bluffed on the turn.

id rather check the turn and hopefully induce a bluff on the river if he has nothing,

when boards are more drawy i would definetly bet the turn