Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Learning Shorthanded Play

I have vague aspirations of playing higher games. And there have been a bunch of those types of hands posted lately. There, you tend to have to do more shorthanded playing. Like, heads up and three handed. And if you aren't willing to play shorthanded, game selection is more difficult.

So, I have two questions:

(1) (very broadly) what should you do differently when playing shorthanded? I realize this is broad. I'm trying to get more specific advice than "be more aggressive." I'm just not sure where to begin. Sorry this was vague.

(2) (thankfully, a more specific question). How should I go about learning SH play? I mean, I could play 6 max-type games. But I'm not sure how good of preparation they are. So, specific suggestions (such as "sit alone at a $25 NL table and just take on all comers for the next week") are welcome. though maybe not as tongue-in-cheek as that example.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Learning Shorthanded Play

[ QUOTE ]
How should I go about learning SH play? I mean, I could play 6 max-type games. But I'm not sure how good of preparation they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

6 max is shorthanded
Old 04-23-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6 max is shorthanded

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really.

SpaceAce
Old 04-23-2005, 06:08 AM

try starting your own tables.

on UB they give you extra Ub points for doing so, and there are also specific HU tables

HU sit and gos also might do the trick
Old 04-23-2005, 10:26 AM

PokerRoom.com and Prima have a pretty large # of 2 person tables at various stakes, Prima of course having some with much higher stakes and some players you don't want to mess with. Watching the 200/400 NL Prima 2 handed game or the UB 25/50 or 50/100 which are frequently HU games at time where you can see the Hand history and frequently has HU action is very educational as well. Sit and Go's rarely provide decent NL deep stack experience because the blind to stack ratios usually turn it into and all in push fest by the time it's HU. Start at much lower stakes than you play a full ring game because it's a massive adjustment, getting used to betting inside straight draws with unders is going to take you a while but it's SOP for HU play if your stacks are reasonably deep because odds are by the flop you opponent is reraising you with some crap like 9 high just because he's got position and he's seeing if you have the stones to play back at him.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:23 PM

6 max is shorthanded IMO
Old 04-23-2005, 01:38 PM

Lately I've had more trouble going back to 10 players from 6-7.