Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Help with SSHE strategy

I have been trying to implement what I'm learning in SSHE. I've gone from a winning player to a losing player. (Played 6000 hands since reading the book) Not exactly sure where I am falling down but seem to get drawn out a lot more at the river when I am ahead then I used to. I play mostly $2/4 at PP where the average pots are 9-10X BB. I'd appreciate any input or advice from anyone using these strategies successfully. I'm profitable from every position except the blinds, but lose more in the blinds then I win everywhere else.

Here's my stats:

Vol $ in pot 19%
PF raise 7%
Went to SD 34%
Won $at SD 49%
Post Flop AF 1.6

Biggest change seems to be in the Won$ at SD catagory, that has definitely gone down.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Help with SSHE strategy

My guess is you're taking the "never fold in a big pot for 1 bet" maxim a bit too far.

Or, you're just running bad.

Post hands, not stats.

-d
Old 04-22-2005, 03:57 PM

OK Here is a typical hand, the type I have been losing lately. As is often the case, had the best hand until the river. Should I have checked the flop and hope to raise the turn?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, UTG calls, MP2 folds.

River: (9.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
Old 04-22-2005, 04:07 PM

Nothing you can do about your opponent catching his 3-5 outer.

Depending on the opponent, though, you may be able to fold this river -- but I wouldn't get into the habit of it. This hand looks fine.

-d
Old 04-22-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Played 6000 hands since reading the book)

[/ QUOTE ]
6000 hands isn't a very big sample. How many BB are you down over that time? How many hands did you have as a winning player before the book? There's a good chance that you're just a winning player in a downswing. Or vice versa.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm profitable from every position except the blinds, but lose more in the blinds then I win everywhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's normal to profit everywhere but the blinds. But it's not normal to have your blind losses outweigh your overall wins. Can you post your blind stats? Have they changed since you read the book?
Old 04-22-2005, 05:01 PM

There is no other acceptable way to play this hand.

6000 hands doesn't mean much. There is a difference between a losing player and a player who lost last week.

Keep playing and studying. Post some hands.

Relax and enjoy the game. Obsessing about results is bad for you and for your results.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But it's not normal to have your blind losses outweigh your overall wins.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually it's very common [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 04-22-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually it's very common

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. I stand corrected.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:10 PM

Embrace the variance.

This hand is pretty standard. Hell no on checking the flop through. Don't let a few beats and/or downswings get you into the habit of obsessing over making weird plays so you can protect your hand. If you've got a good hand like this, bet it.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:25 PM

I didn't have poker tracker before I got the book. But I would estimate it at about the same number of hands, a lot of them at .5/1 or 1/2 though.

Since reading the book I am down .03 bb/100 in 2/4 (9200 hands) and 4 bb/100 in 3/6 (3100 hands)

I've played more hands than I thought, I'd forgotten to include my hands with a different handle.

Thanks for the feedback..